Honored Contributor

Re: 60 Recipes for Your Fourth of July Festivities

@ECBG wrote:

I never did a fav 4th dish.

For picnics I got assigned potato salad and deviled eggs.  They said I cooked better.  "Better" is a subjective word!  It leaves you knowing nothing really.

The others sliced things, made chili for hot dogs, slaw, baked beans,  layered taco dip, ice cream  (they called me to ask how to do mine), and several desserts including   (my recipe) ice cream.

Music artist Luke Combs is addicted to my potato salad!  we are friends of his parents.  He stands over the bowl.

@ECBG  Will you post your potato salad recipe?

Regular Contributor

@momtochloe  These were a big hit with all the kids & so quick & easy to make. My daughter in law suggested we make cherry & lime for Christmas. We have a new tradition!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I never did a fav 4th dish.

For picnics I got assigned potato salad and deviled eggs.  They said I cooked better.  "Better" is a subjective word!  It leaves you knowing nothing really.

The others sliced things, made chili for hot dogs, slaw, baked beans,  layered taco dip, ice cream  (they called me to ask how to do mine), and several desserts including   (my recipe) ice cream.

Music artist Luke Combs is addicted to my potato salad!  we are friends of his parents.  He stands over the bowl.

@ECBG  Will you post your potato salad recipe?

@proudlyfromNJ 

I'd be happy to, but being southern our tastes may differ.    I do use Dukes Dukes mayonnaise.  If I can't find it (never!), I would use Hellmann's mayonnaise. Other products have water and give a goopy product.

Potato Salad

Number of russet potatoes as people plus 2

(Fist size)  We will assume 6 people, 8 potatoes.

About 40 % large jar of Dukes mayo

Prepared mustard.

Salt, pepper

6 hard boiled eggs (we're a heart family. I discard yolks).

1/2 Jar rough chopped sweet or (dill) pickles.

Wash and boil whole unpeeled potatoes in water, only until fork tender, may feel "doughy".

Hard boil eggs. 

Put potatoes on paper towels.

With oven mitts on, peel potatoes, roughly chopping in your covered hand and dropping into a very large bowl.

Peel and rough chop eggs.  Salt and pepper to taste

Add rough cut sweet pickles. 

Put a good squirt of mustard.

Add mayonnaise.

Stir with large strong spoon.

Chill

You want enough mayonnaise and mustard to keep from over stirring.  The barely fork done will prevent goop

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Thanks for the recipe. Hellman's mayo up here. Have heard of Dukes but I don't think we have it in our store. I will try it this summer. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG  Thanks for the recipe. Hellman's mayo up here. Have heard of Dukes but I don't think we have it in our store. I will try it this summer. Thanks again.

@proudlyfromNJ  I don't want to give you false hope but I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and we never had Duke's either and now quite a few stores carry it (it's delicious, my new fave rave!) so they may be coming your way . . . @ECBG  thanks so much for posting your recipe!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I don't want to give you false hope but I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and we never had Duke's either and now quite a few stores carry it (it's delicious, my new fave rave!) so they may be coming your way . . . @ECBG  thanks so much for posting your recipe!

@momtochloe  I haven't looked in ages. Just grab the Hellman's which lasts a long time. Will remember to look next time. Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@momtochloe  I haven't looked in ages. Just grab the Hellman's which lasts a long time. Will remember to look next time. Thanks for the heads up!

@proudlyfromNJ  I love me some Hellman's but if you like a rich, maybe more egg-y mayo you'll love Duke's.  I found it about a year ago at a small, independently owned grocery chain last year and the way I started carrying on when I spotted it, you would have thought I saw Elvis . . . hee!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Quite welcome.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I know I used to post these occassionally from the late, great Tablespoon so I was happy to get this from The Country Cook.  All sorts of great recipes, some tried and true and some new . . . enjoy!

https://www.thecountrycook.net/4th-of-july-recipes/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_7_2_2018_14_35_COPY_01)&mc_c...

@momtochloe

Thank you!!!  Oh my word that crock pot Chocolate spoon cake is calling to me!!!!Heart

@momtochloe You make it, I'll bring the coffee!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I know I used to post these occassionally from the late, great Tablespoon so I was happy to get this from The Country Cook.  All sorts of great recipes, some tried and true and some new . . . enjoy!

https://www.thecountrycook.net/4th-of-july-recipes/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_7_2_2018_14_35_COPY_01)&mc_c...

@momtochloe

Thank you!!!  Oh my word that crock pot Chocolate spoon cake is calling to me!!!!Heart

@momtochloe You make it, I'll bring the coffee!Smiley Happy

Hee @ECBG  I am afraid we have to look to our friend @tiny 2  as since I moved I am sadly out of crock pots (not enough room after downsizing) but if you bring the coffee I'll kick in say maybe Bailey's Irish Creme? . . . Smiley Wink