Honored Contributor

6 Ingredient King Ranch Chicken Casserole

I haven't tested this recipe yet - from Hungry Girll

2B58ED69-B3A4-456A-8B9B-D646A385728C.jpeg

This lightened-up chicken casserole is pure comfort food! It’s creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor. Whip one up as a family dinner, or make it just for you and enjoy a panful of leftovers

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup light/reduced-fat cream cheese
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
12 oz. cooked skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
One 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
Three 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into quarters

Seasonings:
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. taco seasoning

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375℉. Spray an 8"x8" baking pan with nonstick spray.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add onion, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

Transfer onion to a large bowl. Add cream cheese, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, chicken, and taco seasoning. Mix until uniform. Fold in diced tomatoes with chiles.

Transfer half of the chicken mixture to the baking pan, and smooth out the surface. Add half of the tortilla pieces in an even layer, and top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layering with remaining chicken mixture, tortilla pieces, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.

Cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.

Remove foil, and bake until entire dish is hot and bubbly and cheese has lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

MAKES 6 SERVINGS

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Re: 6 Ingredient King Ranch Chicken Casserole

Thank you! Will try it!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl    This sounds like dinner tonight.  I think I have everything except the tortillas but do have some Fritos.  I even have cooked frozen chicken.

Thanks for posting!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Chi-town girl    This sounds like dinner tonight.  I think I have everything except the tortillas but do have some Fritos.  I even have cooked frozen chicken.

Thanks for posting!

Isn't great when you can try a new easy to make recipe with on hand ingredients 😃 enjoy!!! Let us know your review

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl - got a recipe from wellplated dot com. It is a lighter, healthier version and very good. And I like that there is no canned soup in it.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't see any canned soup in Chi's version.   And her ingredients were light.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nada54 - I was not implying it was not simply saying where I found mine which was some time ago.

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl your version is light and healthy. We're having it tonight with steamed broccoli. For dessert, I made an Oreo ice cream pie using mint ice cream.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Chi-town girl your version is light and healthy. We're having it tonight with steamed broccoli. For dessert, I made an Oreo ice cream pie using mint ice cream.

Hi @AuntG - your dinner menu sounds DELICIOUS!!!

Respected Contributor

Last night I made this recipe for dinner and liked it.  Our grocery stores have some strange shortages.  I had to buy and use flour tortillas-no corn tortillas to be found.  Also, the entire section for "light" cream cheese was empty.  I bought and used regular.  The recipe was still good.