Respected Contributor

3 Pork Chops, 3 Poblano Peppers and a Bag of Carrots

Absolutely last day before tossing out. Seeking dinner ideas.

Honored Contributor

Re: 3 Pork Chops, 3 Poblano Peppers and a Bag of Carrots

You could slice up the chops, and make a stir fry with the veg and your favorite sauce and serve over rice.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Cream of poblano soup is delicious!

Super Contributor

How about a Posole type soup - pork, poblano peppers, broth, some paprika, chili, other southwest style seasioning if you like.  I think you could sneak the carrots in there.  Posole has hominiy, but you don't have to make it authentic.  Oh, and a squeeze of lime on top to finish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 

Smothered Pork Chops with Poblano Gravy

INGREDIENTS. VERSION 1

4 poblano chiles.              Use your 3 peppers
1 tbsp. unsalted butter.     If you don't have unsalted, use salted
1 tbsp. canola oil
4 pork rib chops.             Use your 3 chops 
kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
all-purpose flour
1 large red onion.           If you don't have red, use yellow or white
2 clove garlic
2 c. chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 tbsp. Creme fraiche     You can use sour cream but use a bite less than two Tbl
Steamed rice

OR Use the ingredients below. Almost the exact same thing. The only difference is that the size of the chops is specified.
INGREDIENTS VERSION 2

• 4 poblano chiles

• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

• 1 tablespoon canola oil

• Four 10-ounce pork rib chops

• Kosher salt

• Freshly ground pepper

• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging

• 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced

• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

• 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth

• 2 tablespoons crème fraîche

• Steamed rice, for serving

Directions
  • Step 1

Roast the poblanos directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over. Let cool. Peel, seed and stem the chiles, then slice them into 1/4-inch strips.

• Step 2

In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and dredge them in flour. Add the chops to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

• Step 3

Add the onion, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender and caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the poblanos and the 1 tablespoon of flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the flour is lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.

• Step 4

Return the chops to the skillet and simmer over a moderately low heat, turning once, until cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chops to a platter. Stir the crème fraîche into the gravy and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the poblano gravy over the chops and serve with steamed rice.

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

one Tbl is sour cream

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would fry the pork chops. Make 3 chile rellenos and a carrot salad Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

These all sound great, but I've kind of lost my appetite dealing with Boost Mobile. It will come back by 7:00.

@Mindy D I've got all the ingredients (even kosher salt) except the dairy. Should I substitute 2% milk, lowfat vanilla ice cream, or just let the dairy go?

@cactusgal Chiles rellenos is one of my favorite dishes. I would have to substitute swiss cheese and ketchup. I could never do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

These all sound great, but I've kind of lost my appetite dealing with Boost Mobile. It will come back by 7:00.

@Mindy D I've got all the ingredients (even kosher salt) except the dairy. Should I substitute 2% milk, lowfat vanilla ice cream, or just let the dairy go?

@cactusgal Chiles rellenos is one of my favorite dishes. I would have to substitute swiss cheese and ketchup. I could never do that.

@PickyPicky3  Sorry that's it's 12:45 when I'm seeing this. I'd let the dairy go or you can try plain yogurt and if you have it you can add a few drops of lemon juice to the yogurt or add TBL of cream cheese. You definitely don't want to use any very liquidy milk or a sweet low fat ice cream. If you have heavy cream, you could add two Tbl and if you have lemon juice you could add a drop or two to the heavy cream to recreate the tang of sour cream. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D Yes, I made your recipe without any dairy. It was fine. Also I cheated and just cooked the poblanos in the skillet.