Honored Contributor

Re: 3 Ingredient homemade THIN MINTS (what?!)

I remember, back in the 50's, visiting my Grandma. She always made chocolate wafers sandwiched with sweetened whipping cream inside. Mmmm! We'd run in her house and head right over to her freezer where she kept them for us. What fond memories! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

p.s.  Am I imagining this, or have I run across chocolate sandwich cookies at Dollar Tree?  If so, I'm going to 'practice', using this recipe.  Actually, whenever I see plain chocolate cookies, I'm going to use them to avoid scraping off the filling.  Boy, this is a great way to enjoy Thin Mints.  Actually, again, we can probably even make simple crispy and thin chocolate (not choc.chip) cookies from scratch or a mix, and then (once completely cooled)  do the peppermint/chocolate chip dipping!   I'm going to search for 'thin crispy dark chocolate cookie recipes', 'just for fun'!  So many possibilities!   This is a 'gold mine' easy recipe, regardless of which variation we choose to try!    Thank you, O/P.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested in making the cookie part, you can Web search "Thin crispy dark chocolate cookie recipes".  There are several.   (Just in case you can't find them already made and/or you don't want to have to scrape the fillings from Oreos, etc.)   'All in all', thank you, O/P for this fantastic idea regarding making Thin Mints ourselves.  Genius, really......Heart 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

ID2:  Isn't it something (delightful) that we often remember the simple things/foods/scents/etc. from our childhood(s)?  I'm the one who thinks of my mom whenever I smell anise extract, anise biscotti, anisette, etc.   I'm right now recalling my mom and me, every Saturday, in the kitchen, making and baking biscotti.   With anise seed, anisette, and walnuts.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Deadeye Daisy wrote:

You can find Annas Chocolate Mint Thins at Big Lots. (You can buy Anna's at other places, but BL price is better when they have a 20% off coupon). You can dip in plain chocolate; not necessary to use any flavoring. The orange ones are REALLY good when dipped in chocolate. (But then, again, most anything tastes better dipped in dark chocolate, the fifth food group. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Chocolate Mint Thins

Orange Flavored Thins

Oh mercy - I haven't seen Anna's around for while.  We used to purchase several boxes a month at Ikea but they stopped carrying them.  

NOW - I am stopping by Big Lots - 

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@Deadeye Daisy wrote:

You can find Annas Chocolate Mint Thins at Big Lots. (You can buy Anna's at other places, but BL price is better when they have a 20% off coupon). You can dip in plain chocolate; not necessary to use any flavoring. The orange ones are REALLY good when dipped in chocolate. (But then, again, most anything tastes better dipped in dark chocolate, the fifth food group. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Chocolate Mint Thins

Orange Flavored Thins

Oh mercy - I haven't seen Anna's around for while.  We used to purchase several boxes a month at Ikea but they stopped carrying them.  

@sktchy

Not to burst your bubble, but DED's post was from 2014.Cat Sad

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@Deadeye Daisy wrote:

Chocolate Mint Thins

Orange Flavored Thins

@sktchy

Not to burst your bubble, but DED's post was from 2014.Cat Sad

@lolakimono  now how did that thread end up in 2017 ?  I thought the recipe looked familiar.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lola wrote:

Homemade THIN MINT COOKIES

Ok, you could seriously knock me over with a feather when I stumbled across this recipe. I thought, it couldn't be this easy, could it? Oh, it is! The easiest "homemade" thin mints you'll ever make. You won't be able to taste the difference between these and the originals. 3 ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need!

1. 20 Oreos (separated)
  2. 1 to 2 drops peppermint extract
  3. 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Separate oreos and scrape off the white cream. Line a baking sheet with wax or other nonstick paper. Combine chocolate and peppermint extract in a microwave safe bowl. Heat chocolate until completely melted in 30 second intervals or heat with the help of a double boiler. Place one oreo half at a time into the chocolate and flip over with the help of a fork. Once completely coated, remove cookie half from chocolate with the fork and tap it on the edge of the bowl a couple of times (to get rid of the excess chocolate). Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat. Place in the fridge and let set for 15 minutes before enjoying.

@LoLa hmmm sounds so good. I'm just a little confused. What do you do with the white cream that you scrape off? Are you discarding it (or eating it separately?) 

I'd like to separate the cookies and leave the cream on one side, and then dip them. Oh my that sounds so good! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Mint Thins

Prep Time:  15 min
Total Time:  45 min
Makes:  12 servings.

What You Need

1 pkg. (8 squares) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted, slightly cooled
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract (I like a stronger taste so use 1/2 tsp.)
1 sleeve RITZ Crackers (36 crackers)

Make It!

MIX chocolate and extract.

DIP crackers in chocolate, turning to completely coat each cracker. Carefully scrape off excess chocolate. Place crackers in single layer on waxed paper-covered baking sheets; sprinkle with crushed candy.

REFRIGERATE 30 min. or until chocolate is firm.

Tips
Chocolate-Peanut Butter "Cookies"
Omit peppermint extract. Spread each cracker with thin layer of peanut butter before dipping in the melted chocolate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.