Respected Contributor

2Fer: Greek Chix Salad Pita & Watermelon w/ Feta, basil

[ Edited ]

This was my dinner last night.  I am still thinking about how much I enjoyed every bite.    P.S.  I've since learned about the red onion recall.  Check with your grocer for their source.

Greek Chicken Salad Pita
Cooking Light  
Prep Time  11 Mins Yield   4 servings (serving size: 1 pita half)

2 cups sliced romaine lettuce 
1 cup chopped roasted chicken breast 
2/3 cup diced seeded cucumber 
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese 
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
2 Tablespoons olive oil 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
6 Tablespoons roasted red bell pepper hummus *
2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half

Combine lettuce and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss gently.

Spread 1 1/2 Tablespoons hummus inside each pita half; spoon salad mixture evenly into halves. Serve immediately.

* Editors' Notes:  We used roasted red bell pepper hummus for this sandwich, but either spicy three-pepper or artichoke-and-garlic hummus would make a good choice, too.
   To make this meal even faster, forgo rinsing, slicing, and chopping the fresh vegetables and fruit yourself. Look in the produce section for packaged torn romaine lettuce and containers of pre-sliced red onion, pre-chopped cucumber, and pre-chopped mixed melon. Sometimes these items may be more expensive, but the trade-off is time saved from prepping and cleaning.

Watermelon Salad with Feta and Basil 

Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Serves Serves 6 to 8 | Gluten Free 

1 small seedless watermelon (or ¼ of a large one) 
½ of a red onion, thinly sliced 
16 leaves fresh basil 
4 ounces Feta (½ cup crumbled) 
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 
flaky sea salt or kosher salt 
freshly ground black pepper 

Cut the watermelon in half. Using a large spoon, scoop out bite-size pieces of the watermelon and add to a large bowl or platter (you should get about 8 cups). 

Slice the onion into very thin half moons and scatter over the watermelon.  Then scatter the basil leaves over the top.   Crumble the Feta over the salad. 

Drizzle with the oil and lime juice and sprinkle with the salt and pepper (about 6 turns on pepper mill).

Edited to remove an inadvertent link.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2Fer: Greek Chix Salad Pita & Watermelon w/ Feta, basil

Thanks for posting.  The chicken salad looks wonderful.  I always make extra chicken so I have left over for salads.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  - I LOVE Greek Salads and interested to try it as a chicken salad sandwich!  Thank you for posting Heart

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl   I hope you like this one as much as I do.  I don't care to repeat dishes often, but am already looking forward to the next time for this meal.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Perfect recipes for these hot summer days. Thank you for sharing. Look forward to trying!