Respected Contributor

Re: 1st Place Coconut Macaroon Cookies

@house_cat wrote:

I hope this isn't a duplicate post - I posted it a few minutes ago and it vanished.  Let's try again...

This recipe popped up in my FB feed this morning.  Yes, FB knows me pretty well.  I'm going to add these to my Easter buffet table.  I'm thinking of "painting" the bottoms with dark chocolate... just sayin'.

Taste of Home Logo
First-Place Coconut Macaroons

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

• 1. In a small bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla; mix well.
  • 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

@house_cat Thanks. I can't have regular chocolate so, I use white chocolate chips melted, instead. Still great!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Trusted Contributor

I prefer using sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar and no egg whites (the taste of which tends to come through and is unpleasant)
1 can of the milk
1 package of shredded coconut
Pinch if salt
2tsp vanilla

Mix, drop by spoonfuls or I use a small cookie scoop. Bake at 350 for 12-16 min till some shreds turn golden brown
Honored Contributor

I use the recipe on the Eagle Brand site.....with a few tweaks...am now selling trays of them for parties and events at the suggestion of my daughter....can hardly keep up with the demand. First weekend in May I have orders for 18 dozen! Turned down Easter orders due to family being here but am doing a few dozen for a friend who is doing a crafting event for the children’s hospital here.
Honored Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 

Is that an entire bag of shredded coconut? Can you estimate the amount for me? Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat, yes, the full bag. I believe they are standard at around 5 cups. It is a forgiving recipe. If I had more coconut left over from another recipe, I just add it and it works fine.
I forgot to add that I also like to chill the mixture a bit after mixing. It’s easier to scoop and the cookies stay nice and full when baked (instead of spreading).
Honored Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 

Thank you for the recipe and the tip. I will chill them before baking.

~ house cat ~