Honored Contributor

1st Place Coconut Macaroon Cookies

I hope this isn't a duplicate post - I posted it a few minutes ago and it vanished.  Let's try again...

This recipe popped up in my FB feed this morning.  Yes, FB knows me pretty well.  I'm going to add these to my Easter buffet table.  I'm thinking of "painting" the bottoms with dark chocolate... just sayin'.

Taste of Home Logo
First-Place Coconut Macaroons

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

• 1. In a small bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla; mix well.
  • 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: 1st Place Coconut Macaroon Cookies

I love coconut cookies!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Honored Contributor

They look delicious. I like that they don't require many ingredients too lol. Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure and try this recipe.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat 

Oh NO!  These look delicious!  They are way to easy for my own good!  I'm in trouble!  Thanks for posting!  And I agree...some dark chocolate on the bottom would be great...only I would go for a good dunking!  LOL!  And maybe a drizzling on the tops too!  See...that's why I'm in trouble...hehehe...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love a chewy macaroon.  And I agree with your suggestion of chocolate on the bottoms.  I make this recipe from the King Arthur's Flour baking site:

14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

2 egg whites

1 tbsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut

3 1/4 cups sweeterned coconut

1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Mix milk, egg whites, vanilla, salt, and both coconuts in bowl.  Scoop by 2-teaspoonfuls (I use a small ice cream scoop) an inch apart onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake in 350 degree oven until tops are light golden, 16-18 minutes.  Let cool on sheet.  

Melt chocolate chips (I prefer a double-boiler), stirring until smooth.  Dip bottoms of cooled cookies in chocolate, then let rest on cooling rack.  I freeze these if there are any left.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat, this is the same recipe I use since I found it on TofH a couple of years ago! The macaroons are so moist and perfectly sweet. It doesn't make a big batch, but a big teaspoon full makes a perfect size macaroon IMO! Excellent recipe and very easy!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Thanks for the review! I'm really glad to hear that!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat  I'm going to try your recipe tomorrow, I like that it only calls for a third cup of sugar.

Trusted Contributor

Coconut macaroons are perfect for springtime.  these looks deeelicious.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Coconut macaroons are one of my very favorite foods.  I don't eat them often, but when I do my mouth is very happy.

So glad you posted this recipe @house_cat .  I've copied it and look forward to giving it a try!