Honored Contributor

Re: 1950s Jello Dinners. Perish the thought.

[ Edited ]

The sea foam salad morphed into Watergate salad in the '70s. My SIL didn't tell his mother he didn't like it, so she assumed it was his favorite. It showed up at every holiday gathering we had for years. Watergate uses pistachio pudding mix instead of jello.

I don't remember ever seeing, let alone eating any of those congealed dishes pictured. I do remember congealed salads were always a big part of luncheons my great aunt and grandmother would host for ladies from the church..always served on a lettuce leaf and cut in squares, never in fancy molds. They usually had fruit and/or nuts, nothing else. The school cafeteia always had jello salad one day a week. I brought my lunch.

Frequent Contributor

No thank you!

Honored Contributor

OMG!!  These gave me such a laugh!  Horrible and unappetizing looking dishes!!  LOL!

My mother on the rare occasion made jello molds but she only put fruit cocktail in fruit flavored jello.  I can remember her making plain fruit flavored jello for me when I was sick.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness my mother never made any of those dishes.  Jell-O was for dessert only.  I never saw my mother use a recipe...ever, except for bakery items.

I have the exact copper mold used to make that salmon mousse. I never used it for anything.  It used to hang on my kitchen wall.

Honored Contributor

I don't like eyes looking back at me, even if it is just a sliced olive.  

Honored Contributor

I had to click off after about the third photo of those creations.  That was so gross.  Mom had the below back in the 70's and I know none of that mess was in her little Betty Crocker recipe club.  I loved looking through that box.

Betty Crocker's Recipe Card Library 1971 Complete Yellow image 0

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."