Honored Contributor

Re: 1950s Jello Dinners. Perish the thought.

I've seen tv shows where people in other countries still eat some of these types of dishes. Just looking at these creations is difficult for me to do lol.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember those recipe cards.  My mother and her sisters collected them.

Honored Contributor

Ewwwww, I may never get my appetite back.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

That disgusting "dish" was probably dreamed up by a food manufacturer as a marketing tool.

Honored Contributor

Whatever, jello molds are a part of our heritage and a tradition at many family reunions and holiday dinners.

Why can't we honor it as that?  We see things from other cultures that might not be on the top of our list of things to eat now, but these dishes are honored and remembered as part of their culture and heritage.

I'll give Jello it's place of honor in my memories and as a piece of Americana that deserves  it's place, and the praise of our grandmothers and great grandmothers for working hard to treat their families. 

And jello dishes are dishes of working folks.  It was cheap, pretty and something different. 

Trusted Contributor

omg.. the only one i would really try is the bologna cake.. doesnt look that bad like the rest..  lol

Honored Contributor

Oh my!  I'm glad I missed out on this!   I grew up in the 60s in California and, TBH, I don't know if they had that kind of stuff there since I had to do all the cooking from age 6 but I'm quite sure I would have found these dishes repugnant back then, too.

Nothing wrong with that.  We all like what we like and dislike what we dislike.    Plus, I'm pretty picky anyway.   Those are some seriously, uh, interesting concoctions.  No doubt about that!  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I remember seeing some of these recipes in my moms magazines she got. I don't remember her ever making any of them tho. I do remember the copper molds they used for those recipes that hung on our kitchen wall for awhile.

I was watching a food network program (don't recall which one cuz I watch so many) and I don't remember what the years were, but they said lobster was a poor mans meal and they served it to prisoners who revolted saying it was cruel and unusual punishment.

cookin 

Valued Contributor

@1Snickers The sea foam salad was the one I loved! My MIL made it.We called it Watergate Salad.Sometimes its at Food Lion in their deli but never enough pecans.

Thank you for the memory.

Honored Contributor

Many, many ladies loved all of the salads made with jello.  

Happiness is in such short supply, they shouly enjoy it!Smiley Happy