Respected Contributor

1950s Jello Dinners. Perish the thought.

Glad noone serves these bad boys any longer.  #12 is scary

https://www.liveabout.com/gross-old-fashioned-recipes-4153470

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 1950s Jello Dinners. Perish the thought.

@kcladyz   I can't even type the words I want to use.  My poor deceased Mother will come back and wash my 70 yr. old mouth out with a bar of Dial soap.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting!  That was too funny.  I got married in the mid-70's, and my in-laws were still serving jello creations.

You brought back some "interesting" meal memories and gave me a few good laughs.

Esteemed Contributor

So glade that my Mother worked and didn't have alot of time to make anything to fancy for dinner !

Respected Contributor

I only got through about 10 of them and most of those looked disgusting!  YUCK!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Those dishes are so gross. Awful looking.

Honored Contributor

I'm 72 and thank God have never heard of or seen any of these sickening "things". Yuck yuck yuck

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  My mother used Lifeboy soap, it was worse!  
  My Aunt made congealed salads, one had blue cheese which was terrible! Tomato was bad! 

Sea foam salad was delicious it had: lime jello, pineapple, miniature marshmallows, real whipped cream, pecans. I made it from my husband' s Aunts recipie.

I told her when she served it that hers was better than mine, much lighter. Then she asked how I made it. 
  My problem was I wasn't whipping the cream, just pouring it in! She didn't give me those directions!

🍵

Honored Contributor

Oh please.  It's just food.  It's from a time when people ate different things and there were new products for them to try.  Check any period from former days and you will see lots of things we don't eat.

And I can assure you that 30, 40 years from now, your prize dishes will be what folks will make fun of.

How about some good words for mostly women who were trying to make the most of what they had to work with, and make something new and different for their families.  To me, it belittles women who were working hard when folks carry on about and make fun of the things they were trying out to make life a little better. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just ate dinner & now I want to vomit 🤮