Trusted Contributor

Re: 1 Pound Ground Beef (frozen) and a Pressure Cooker

Some good recipes. I'm not sure I would want to cook my ground beef frozen.

Respected Contributor

Wow! really old post! Wonder why someone dug this up?

@Cruiseguy Pat wrote:

I agree that browning the burger first will give you better looking (and I think better tasting) results.  

However, if you are using a pressure cooker, it will not get to pressure until the internal temparature gets hot enough to do so and this won't happen with frozen items - so whether you have an electric pressure cooker that will not start counting down until everything is at the right temperature (pressure) or if you have a stovetop kind, the pressure doesn't get achieved if frozen items are still in the pot - so once they are no longer frozen, the unit does it's thing.

Cruiseguy, I understand what you are saying, but your information is absolutely untrue! You CAN absolutely use frozen beef, frozen chicken and frozen pork in a pressure cooker with great results. The key is that you have to season ANY fluid you use to cook the food in. For example, I have cooked frozen chicken legs in my pressure cooker. It was about 2 pounds of frozen chicken. I used enough water to almost cover the chicken and the water contained about 1/2 cup of seasoning. I have a Power Pressure Cooker XL. I used the 15 minute setting and added 5 additional minutes. The chicken was incredible. I have also cooked frozen hamburgers in the pressure cooker. I cooked 2 patties and covered them with water. I put in a lot of seasoning - about half a cup. I used a 15 minute setting on the XL. The patties were great. After they were done in the pressure cooker, I took them out of the pressure cooker, added a little extra seasoning to them and put them in a frying pan for a few minutes to brown them. They were great. You can absolutely go from frozen to amazing using the pressure cooker.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Really good information but I doubt it really helped the OP who asked the question in 2014!

Maybe you could start a new thread rather than bring up one that is so old.  It helps to check the dates on the threads before you post.  You can always start a thread to share good information.

Valued Contributor

My family and friends love when I make tacos.  I make this taco meat regularly and freeze vacuum sealed packages.  I make 2 - 3 lbs at a time, but, can make just 1lb.  You can use any taco seasoning,  I have made homemade seasoning, but, Taco Bell is my favorite seasoning packets (1 package per pound).  The potatoes are what gives my tacos so much flavor, a Mexican cook gave me that tip 45 years ago and I have never made tacos without the potatoes since.

Robin's Pressure Cooker Ground Beef Tacos

2 lbs Ground Beef
2 packages Taco Bell Taco Seasoning ( 1 package per pound of ground beef)
1 Onion, finely diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
2 Potatoes, finely diced (do not omit, adds tons of flavor)
2 tbs Olive Oil
1-1/2 cups water

In pressure cooker with lid off, in oil saute onions, bell pepper.  Remove from pot when onions are translucient. 

Brown Ground beef in pressure cooker with lid off and drain grease.

Add sauted vegetables back to pressure cooker with ground beef and diced potatoes.

Stir in 2 packages of Taco Seasoning and water.

Place lid on Pressure Cooker and pressure cook for 6 minutes.

Serve on Tortillas.

Note... Cooked Taco Meat is great frozen in serving size packages.  I keep a supply in the freezer and use it for Taco Salad, Tacos, Enchiladas, Quesdillas, Empanadas, etc.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Frequent Contributor

Dear Lynnj:

I admit I didn't read all of those that replied to your post.  So please let me begin by saying I LOVE THIS WAY OF COOKING.  About a year ago I purchased a 4 quart ELITE pressure cooker from HSN.......it was a TSV so for the 59.95 price I would either love it or hate it and I was willing to go the 60 Bucks.  Well I have challenged this ELITE and time and time again it beats me......I use it at least once a week, sometimes more, and have made every kind of meat or stew that you can think of, all types of pastas and also casseroles.  It has yet to fail me.

I've borrowed at least 30 different PC cookbooks from my public library system and have really learned alot about cooking under pressure.  I've made lasagna, every possible type, we have a huge garden so I've made eggplant sauces, zucchini, squash and stuffed peppers.  I made bone in  Chicken Cacciatore, Pork loins, with sauerkraut and Pulled Pork, Mac and cheese (made with elbows and just slices of american cheese, some butter and milk and OMG it was the best ever.....remember I said I wanted to challenge the PC), but my most favorite has to be Calamari fra Diavolo,  with the pasta in the pot, about the equivalent of a large jar of store bought sauce and in 12 minutes it's DONE!  My husband, from a long line of Italian cooks, can't believe how delicious and tender it is.   

For my meat sauces I sometimes use frozen burgers .....yup my PC has a browning setting, so I brown the burgers in a little oil maybe add some minced garlic and onion, turn off setting when they are 'brown' and then I break up the meat with a wooden spoon, let the PC cool down, add my sauce, whether home made or bottled, turn PC on again, add ziti or penne pasta, cover and lock and set for 12 minutes and I prefer releasing the pressure rather than letting it release naturally........and OMG it's done to perfection.  

Enjoy your pressure cooker, it can make wonderful meals........be inventive it will pay off.  I would suggest you check on line for the times needed for some dishes. 

The only thing I haven't tried are deserts.  Gerri S

Trusted Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:
Wow! really old post! Wonder why someone dug this up?

I am glad it was dug up as I have a pressure cooker but have not done much with it, since I am unsure about the proper use. I will be making the tacos and Mac and cheeses sooner rather than later. 

I also have some ideas about how it can happen as I believe I have also been guilty.  Sometimes, posters complain if someone starts a new thread without doing a search for old threads with the topic. So, I looked for the old thread, read it and made a comment. Then someone asked why the old thread was brought up. See, I took criticism both ways. I don't think it matters at all unless it is a topic where timeliness is important. 

Trusted Contributor

@Chicagoan, I made your taco recipe tonight.  I liked the recipe. It was the first time I put potatoes in tacos and it was good. I am not sure what the benefit of pressure cooking was, though. By the time I got done sautéing and browning everything, I think it would be faster in a big skillet. Maybe I'll try it that way next time just to see. Thanks for the recipe. 

Valued Contributor

@debcakes I am glad you like the tacos with potatoes.  I pretty much use my pressure cooker for infusing flavor, I think the pressure infuses all the spices into the meat and potatoes better than simmering, but, of course that is my preference. I am also a pressure cooker junkie, so I use it as much as I can.. lol   It will also be delicious just simmered in a skillet.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you