Trusted Contributor

What do you do then?

Keep changing the hosts.  Some shopping channels can do this easily and a new face pops up.

Others like QVC take a longer time to train a host so when you don't like her they can't just pull her off.

I applaud selling channels that use real sales people to sell.  Go to your favorite brick and mortar store and try to find a sales person to help you.  They're nowhere around.  You just go up to the cashier and check out.

To actually show someone talking about a product so you can buy it is getting rare out in the actual shopping malls so I appreciate their efforts here on QVC and other shopping channels.

Honored Contributor

Re: when selling isn't selling

We all just need to keep in mind that we all do not want or like the same products, the same hosts, the same price ranges, etc.

I can't imagine a day when we all love everything or a day when we all agree something is horrific. 

But isn't all retail that way -  and aren't we fortunate still to be living in a country where we have so many choices?

Honored Contributor

@newname0wrote:

What do you do then?

Keep changing the hosts.  Some shopping channels can do this easily and a new face pops up.

Others like QVC take a longer time to train a host so when you don't like her they can't just pull her off.

I applaud selling channels that use real sales people to sell.  Go to your favorite brick and mortar store and try to find a sales person to help you.  They're nowhere around.  You just go up to the cashier and check out.

To actually show someone talking about a product so you can buy it is getting rare out in the actual shopping malls so I appreciate their efforts here on QVC and other shopping channels.

@newname0

We used to joke that Macy's had magical doors.  As soon as we passed through them into the store we became invisible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all feel differently.

i would prefer no hosts at all.  I like catalog shopping and I like to read the information about the products and see pictures of the items.

Apparently, I am not the only one.  Amazon is an online catalog, with some video here and there and they are extremely successful.

Paying hosts, vendors and models raises the price of everything, and it does get people  hyped up and they buy stuff they don’t need.

i am shocked at the confessions of purging Lock and lock, temptations and other stuff that were purchased and not needed or used, then just cast out without a thought.

I am shocked again when I read that some people will buy a product during a presentation so the millionaire vendor “ gets credit” for the purchase and they stockpile the products that they don’t need right now. 

I guess the online presentations still work for some people who follow certain hosts or vendors and buy, buy, buy.

Esteemed Contributor

Well this was a real eye opener for me two weeks ago.  I was at my nephew's house recently.  His wife's mother helps people get rid of their items when they are downsizing.  So she was helping an older woman, and brought TONS of items to my nephew's house to display on tables, couches and on the floor, and then she would bring people over there to "shop" what was available.

There were literally hundreds of pairs of shoes (most in their original boxes), hundreds of purses, and mounds of clothes.  The shoes took up one bedroom, the clothes another bedroom and the purses were all in the large kitchen.  First clothing item I picked up was Susan Graver.  I saw an Isaac sweater that I also own.  There was Denim & Co, Sport Saavy, Clarks & Sketchers shoes, Dooney & Burke, B. Makowski, and other brands of purses.  I could go on but you get the idea.  (Thankfully, the shoes and clothes were all too big for me, as I don't need a darn thing).  It looked like none of the items had ever been worn or used.  The kicker is that all that was only about 1/3 of what this woman has in her home.

To me, this is a very sad situation.  To her, I imagine that she watches QVC for company.  She buys to have something to look forward to, and maybe to just feel alive.  This is the danger when you have people on TV SELLING you things, 24 hours a day.  If you are volnerable, something like this could happen. I am sure others have heard of similar stories.  This of course, is not the fault of any shopping channel, and we all have to be responsible for our own actions.

I joked to my nephew and his wife that I was going to think about all these items the next time I wanted to order from QVC.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead