Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I get around many of them by DVRing the majority of my favorite shows and then fast forwarding thru the ads. I'm particularly hating the Farmer's Insurance ads, especially the one with the truck on the roof.....the eyes on the boy in that one make him look demented.

@shaggygirl I agree that the boys looks a bit odd.  He also is on the soap opera General Hospital.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I mostly watch from my DVR and Xfinity has come up with a nifty new feature that automatically starts the show again when I fast forward and the commercials are over - brilliant! 

However, the commercials still drive me up the wall in the morning when I have the news on in the background while I'm getting ready for work - to catch weather and traffic updates. 

There's a local car dealer that is so irritating that I've considered calling them and telling them that I WILL NEVER BUY A CAR FROM THEM AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUE TO YELL AT ME THROUGH MY TV!  There's another commercial for an attorney where a woman says "MIKE MADE 'EM PAY" so much louder than the rest of the commercial, it still startles me  because it sounds like the lady is right in the room!  What a way to start my day! 

@Suzeecat I like this feature with Xfinity also. It's just not available on all of the networks I record from. Hopefully they will add this to more networks. it is called Smart Resume.

Valued Contributor

That is why we mostly just watch Netflix and Amazon and QVC of course.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I remember cable companies promised no commercials because we paid for our viewing.  What happened?

You're absolutely right.  That was the big selling point. 

Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I get around many of them by DVRing the majority of my favorite shows and then fast forwarding thru the ads. I'm particularly hating the Farmer's Insurance ads, especially the one with the truck on the roof.....the eyes on the boy in that one make him look demented.

@shaggygirl I agree that the boys looks a bit odd.  He also is on the soap opera General Hospital.

I also DVR all shows/movies I want to watch unless they are on Demand with no commercials.  Skip Commercials (My Mom used to say that LOL) when they air.  Amazing how an hour show can be seen in around 28 mins w/o commercials.  Bright side to no commerials is no running to kitchen to get a snack that I seemed to do often. Smiley Wink  Takes hours off Nascar thank goodness.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for your replies.  Clearly we are not the only ones who have noticed the increase in commercials.  And thanks for a lot of good ideas.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Frequent Contributor
I hate the drug ads, and we're paying for them & companies can write off expenses. Also, where I live non-stop ads from abt 3 separate law firms that run all the time....er...ambulance chasers. When their firm/client wins those car accident cases, it's another excuse for insurance companies to raise our rates. It's never ending.
Occasional Contributor

Yes, they are all unbearable.  I have to DVR everything to avoid them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When I first switched to DISH 18 months ago there was an option to skip the commercials when you set the recording up.  No longer, you have to manually fast forward through each show.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Find other forms of entertainment.

download (1).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”