Honored Contributor
You'll notice that the products that have been retained are the more expensive lines. Kirk's Folly and Lee Sands were relatively cheap. It takes the same time and effort to sell a cheap item as it does an expensive one but the profit difference is huge. What would you do if you were the Q's CEO?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 colinka said:

Don't be snarky, KYToby. I originally loved the Q because you could find new and original items from smaller vendors there. It was like going to a unique small street of shops, versus the copycat bland shopping mall stores. Now it's just not as exciting or as special. The Q has sold its soul.

Toby isn't being snarky; she's being realistic. The last thing the Q is interested in is giving the shopper a warm and fuzzy feeling or making their programming "special". It's all about the bottom line, baby.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yea, right, sure and there are different ways to enhance a bottom line. Occasionally retailers even like to please their customers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Frankly, I think the clothing vendors are too few. If I feel like qvc has nothing new to offer, I'm not buying. I'm a new customer but not going to be excited about buying from a limited number of designers. The shipping fees and return fees are a huge detriment to frequent purchases IMO. For example, I won't even consider buying shoes, handbags or cosmetics now. Too iffy.

Super Contributor
On 3/13/2015 Kachina624 said: You'll notice that the products that have been retained are the more expensive lines. Kirk's Folly and Lee Sands were relatively cheap. It takes the same time and effort to sell a cheap item as it does an expensive one but the profit difference is huge. What would you do if you were the Q's CEO?

If that's the case then the whole concept of these shop at home stores have changed. I remember ShopNBC (or ShopHQ or Evine) was the most high-end selling channel at one time. Now it seems that QVC is headed that way with the elimination of cheap item presentations.

Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 Kachina624 said: You'll notice that the products that have been retained are the more expensive lines. Kirk's Folly and Lee Sands were relatively cheap. It takes the same time and effort to sell a cheap item as it does an expensive one but the profit difference is huge. What would you do if you were the Q's CEO?

Not what this one has done... I might focus on higher priced items, but not to the point of eliminating virtually everything else, particularly customer favorites and the very things that put my company on the map in the first place... And I might also try to offer a better mix of higher priced items featured on-air... The steady diet of the same ten brands might be working for the CEO, but if the financials are any indication, it isn't working all that well for customers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The Q should definitely NOT focus on high priced items, since 90% of their customers are return customers.

Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 colinka said:

Remember those great product searches where they brought in inventors and small vendors with unique items? I know Jeanne Bice got started that way. I also remember them doing a remote show in London, with true British products--everything sold out in a flash, and I was so excited to watch the presentation. It was like a mini-trip to England. I loved the Q for those types of things--I found so many unique things for gifts. They got me started on Birki's. I started collecting Joan Rivers' line bracelets. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time I bought something from the Q.

I used to love the October Fest shows with German products and so many other special events. QVC really was worth watching in those days. (And I bought a lot, so I'm not "responsible" for the demise of the missing vendors.) Now? Not so much; I rarely ever watch it and, if there's something I want to check out, I record it and fast-forward through it.

I only buy the one or two lines I can't get anywhere else. How many Dyson, Keurig, Dell, Dooney & Bourke, etc. shows do I need to see? Totally boring and I can get better prices elsewhere, with free shipping (and usually faster).

Even the beauty shows that used to offer such spectacular TSVs are a thing of the past. Now I simply wait for a sale from the vendor and buy just the things I want. QVC has definitely lost its unique appeal.

I remember the days when TSVs were so varied and such great deals that they really did sell out fast. Now, if a TSV isn't selling well, they just "move on" to OTOs. A joke, as most times you can see that the TSV is still available.

Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 Angry Bird said: OP, Kid's Folly went out of business...Lee Sands retired...Jean Bice and Joan Rivers are deceased but Q kept their lines on air...I'm sure we will see Bob Mackie, Dennis Basso and others go before too long....It isn't all QVC ...

I wish we could put this myth to rest once and for all - Kirk's Folly did not go out of business, until QVC dropped them at almost no notice, after they'd scheduled (and ordered the inventory for) a year's worth of shows for their 35th year in business. QVC left them high and dry with little opportunity to sell their items. That's what put Kirk's Folly out of business.

Just tired of posters perpetuating this idea that Kirk's Folly chose to close their business and that's why QVC dropped them. Other way around! {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor
On 3/14/2015 snoops said:

Frankly, I think the clothing vendors are too few. If I feel like qvc has nothing new to offer, I'm not buying. I'm a new customer but not going to be excited about buying from a limited number of designers. The shipping fees and return fees are a huge detriment to frequent purchases IMO. For example, I won't even consider buying shoes, handbags or cosmetics now. Too iffy.

Well said....variety is what keeps customers coming back certainly NOT seeing a limited number of vendors being presented over and over, this just drives people away. Certainly something should be done for the sake of customer retention.....

As for their new shipping---it seems now QVC has instituted a "try out fee" so definitely some customers won't take a chance on shoes, cosmetics, clothes, or handbags. And their "buy more and save" is no real bargain, not when you pay full shipping on each (no more 1/2 shipping on multiples of same item, sent to same address)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”