Super Contributor

It seems like some vendors did survive the QVC purge when it happened. Dennis Basso, Judith Ripka come to mind. I think what they did was go to their list of vendors and pick out those whose sales amounted to a lot of $$$ and eliminated those who had low sales like Lee Sands, Kirks Folly, and other small vendors. This is the direction they are going now - big sales vendors IMO.

Trusted Contributor

So QVC kept vendors that generated a lot of sales and eliminated those that did not sell well? Who would have thought that they would do such a thing?

Valued Contributor

Don't be snarky, KYToby. I originally loved the Q because you could find new and original items from smaller vendors there. It was like going to a unique small street of shops, versus the copycat bland shopping mall stores. Now it's just not as exciting or as special. The Q has sold its soul.

Respected Contributor

Like any retailer, bottom line is what counts. Vendors with products that don't sell, don't stay. Welcome to the business world.

Honored Contributor

And in the process, they've decimated the notion of QVC as an entity that provides customers with a fabulous variety of options... Meanwhile, they appear also to be working on decimating the notion of value as well... Some would also say quality is on the table...

Frankly, so much of what the Q now pushes relentlessly just isn't all that interesting, often isn't worth the price and often can be obtained elsewhere, which taken together all begs the question whether or not the convenience factor alone is really all that... And even that assumes the items can't be obtained elsewhere just as conveniently... Nope sorry, and with the advent of this new shipping, uh, 'deal', I'll personally be relying even less on QVC.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Maybe they told a vendor like Jim Shore that he would have to up his sales or else he would be out. However, he's very popular and they couldn't let him go so they upped his prices. Other vendors solved this problem by offering more merchandise like Susan Graver going into jewelry. And they kept Joan Rivers for name value alone. Interesting marketing strategies for now. Who knows what they'll do next. And what happened to Lori Greiner? She was good at inventing new products. Did she manage to hang on?

Valued Contributor

Remember those great product searches where they brought in inventors and small vendors with unique items? I know Jeanne Bice got started that way. I also remember them doing a remote show in London, with true British products--everything sold out in a flash, and I was so excited to watch the presentation. It was like a mini-trip to England. I loved the Q for those types of things--I found so many unique things for gifts. They got me started on Birki's. I started collecting Joan Rivers' line bracelets. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time I bought something from the Q.

Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 newlook said:

Maybe they told a vendor like Jim Shore that he would have to up his sales or else he would be out. However, he's very popular and they couldn't let him go so they upped his prices. Other vendors solved this problem by offering more merchandise like Susan Graver going into jewelry. And they kept Joan Rivers for name value alone. Interesting marketing strategies for now. Who knows what they'll do next. And what happened to Lori Greiner? She was good at inventing new products. Did she manage to hang on?

Lori Greiner is on a lot. Lori is also on the TV program Shark Tank and she brings in people and products from that show.

Super Contributor
OP, Kid's Folly went out of business...Lee Sands retired...Jean Bice and Joan Rivers are deceased but Q kept their lines on air...I'm sure we will see Bob Mackie, Dennis Basso and others go before too long....It isn't all QVC ...
Honored Contributor

I think the higher prices and new S&H policy will drive customers away from the Q. I know I started shopping here 10 years ago because the prices were right and I couldn't get what they offered in my area. I know I will shop more locally because there is not an incentive for me to buy from the Q any more. Of course if money is no object or you can't get out to shop then the Q is all yours.