Respected Contributor

Re: signature required UPS delivery

This happened to me for the first time today.  I was out at a Dr.'s appointment and saw they tried to make a delivery and will now have to come back tomorrow.  At first I thought it was for some wine I ordered, which I know requires a signature. I just checked my order and it was for a pair of Skechers.  The UPS guys know me, they just leave it at my door no problem.  Now I am going to have to stay home all day tomorrow waiting for this delivery.  This is ridiculous.  All of us are never home all the time so now they will have to keep coming back, making an extra trip for nothing.  I don't understand this at all.

Valued Contributor

Just got an email that my UPS delivery from QVC will require a signature for today's delivery!  It is Spurtles !!!  Not alcohol or expensive item.  Just lucky I am at home today. I will stop ordering from QVC if I have to sign for deliveries....not going to wait around all day for inexpensive items.Nor am I going to drive to a UPS location to pick it up. 

Valued Contributor

Saturday (yesterday) UPS delivered 3 packages and left them by my kitchen door on carport. I only caught a glimpse of the driver as he was leaving. There was a fairly large and heavy pkg from Amazon, and 2 smaller bags from Zulily. Didn't need to sign for any of them so I am thinking this is a new QVC thing. I hope that UPS will leave a note at my door when I'm not home for any future Q deliveries so I can sign it and leave it out when driver returns. Just like the old days (last century, as I recall.)

I suspect the drivers aren't so happy with this since that will mean a 2nd stop for the same package and they already have long days. Such is life ...

Super Contributor

Thanks for the head's up.  This has not been my experience yet.  I can see QVC's sales go down if this becomes a new thing.  Takes the "C" right out of QVC.  Yes there is a UPS terminal about a mile from my house where I would have to go, but they have limited hours for the public so I'd have to work around that.  My doorstep is safe so would rather have it here.

Super Contributor

@Retiredpsych wrote:

Just got an email that my UPS delivery from QVC will require a signature for today's delivery!  It is Spurtles !!!  Not alcohol or expensive item.  Just lucky I am at home today. I will stop ordering from QVC if

Spoiler
Smiley Happy

I have to sign for deliveries....not going to wait around all day for inexpensive items.Nor am I going to drive to a UPS location to pick it up. 

I bet the neighborhood "spurtles thieves" are heartbroken LOL  There is a huge black market for those.

Spoiler
Smiley Indifferent
Honored Contributor

If this is a new requirement it would have been nice if QVC had notified customers.

Honored Contributor

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

Saturday (yesterday) UPS delivered 3 packages and left them by my kitchen door on carport. I only caught a glimpse of the driver as he was leaving. There was a fairly large and heavy pkg from Amazon, and 2 smaller bags from Zulily. Didn't need to sign for any of them so I am thinking this is a new QVC thing. I hope that UPS will leave a note at my door when I'm not home for any future Q deliveries so I can sign it and leave it out when driver returns. Just like the old days (last century, as I recall.)

I suspect the drivers aren't so happy with this since that will mean a 2nd stop for the same package and they already have long days. Such is life ...

@laluzdelmundo 

Can you imagine how inefficient this is going to be when the Holiday Shopping Season starts and they have to make several trips to try to get a signature....aint gonna work...SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

I just got a package yesterday, and they left it by the door as usual. I wonder if this signature requirement is only being tested in some areas. I hope it doesn't become the standard. I will miss most packages if it does since I work at the office most days. 

Occasional Contributor

NO!  The purpose of signed Signature is TWO fold.

1. Protect the Seller from fraud.

2. Protect the Purchaser from Theft.

Fedex, UPS, etc. are obligated under Contract to deliver a package.  If no signature is required (because the Seller did not pay MORE.. (to request it)) - the shipping Carrier is perfectly free to just drop it at the property - and if it is stolen - you get to fight about that...

When the Seller pays for Signature Required - if the Shipping Carrier just drops it off at the property - or inadvertently delivers it to the wrong address - the Shipping Carrier is responsible for Loss caused by Theft.  Not the Seller; and not you.  However - maybe you won't be home - so the Shipping Carrier is making this 'fantastic bad offer' for you to SIGN before you have the package.  Now, you either live in an area where the Shipping Carrier is concerned about Theft - or the Seller paid more for the 'signature required' - but if you SIGN for it - you now assume ALL risk of loss.  So, it is to the Shipping Carrier's advantage to have you SIGN for it - before they deliver it.  They don't have to come back another day - and if it is Stolen - your tough luck.  You get to eat it; because you signed for it.  I really disklike how the various Shipping carriers advertise this as something 'for' you.  BS.  You are signing your protections and all rights away.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is ZERO convenience for You.  All 'convenience' is for the shipping carrier.  You are signing your protective rights away against theft, missed delivery, etc.