Contributor

I was wondering if anyone knows that we are charged tax on shipping and handling fees and perhaps could provide an explanation as to why it is legal to do so.  I thought only goods were taxable.Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows that we are charged tax on shipping and handling fees and perhaps could provide an explanation as to why it is legal to do so.  I thought only goods were taxable.Thanks.

It varies by state. I'm in Texas and it's legal here.

You can read more about it here, but note this article is from 2017 and you should double-check local laws. 
https://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-and-shipping/

The website should charge according to your billing address. If it's not and does charge you tax and that's not legal in your state, let QVC know. 

Honored Contributor

It's legal because it's enacted by your state legislature.  If you don't like it, you know who to blame.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1 It is legal in NV.  If it isn't required in your state, you can let the Q know, although getting them to stop doing it is probably impiossible.

Honored Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1 wrote:

@Tall Nurse 1 

Everyone is correct.

It is legal because YOUR state says so and requires it to be taxed. 

QVC must abide by each state's tax laws.  Not optional.  Tax laws and tax rates can also vary from county to county.

S/H is taxable in NYS.  Many services are taxable (plumber, repairman etc)