Esteemed Contributor

I am looking at the Home Reflections 800TC easy care sheet set. How can something be a best seller and have a 2.5 star rating? A lot of folks do not seem very happy with them.

Do people not give reviews unless they are unhappy a lot of the time?

I like to read the reviews before making purchases sometimes but I am beginning to wonder how much stock to put into review's and ratings.

Respected Contributor

Maybe they sold REALLY well, but they didn't tell us how many sets were returned? LOL

Honored Contributor

@happycatI haven't read marketing research on this topic for a while, but I know when I was teaching business-writing, there was research that showed buyers were far more likely to write their complaints than their compliments.  Given what we see here on the Forums, I'd guess that's still true.

Honored Contributor

Someone being unhappy with a purchase doesn't mean you will be unless there is some specific flaw in construction, wear, color etc.

I take much of it with a grain of salt unless there is a specific flaw that seems to be a pattern in many of the reviews

I love the Vintage Percale sheets from Target.

Sometimes thread count alone can be deceiving.

@happycat

Esteemed Contributor

@software, on sheets, I pay more attention now. I have never ordered sheets from qvc, but I did order some from Kohls a few years back. They are so scratchy I should have sent them back. I have washed several times to see if it would help. We have never slept on them. Sandpaper. Microdermabraision my whole body maybe?

We don't have a target, but I would love to find some percale sheets like we had when I was a child. I've asked mom what sheets she would get, but I don't think she remembers.

There's a target about 45 minutes from here. Next time I am there, I'm going to try to remember to look at those sheets. So, thanks for mentioning them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1, you do have a point...lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops, you are probably correct.

Esteemed Contributor

I was looking at some reviews for shoes earlier today and saw some that had one, two and three stars from reviewers who thought the shoe was ugly; not that they had bought it and had any actual experience with the shoe.  I don't care what anyone's opinion of how something looks is, tell me about your experience with the actual product THAT YOU PURCHASED AND USED is.

These types of reviews should not be allowed.  If Amazon can provide verified user information, seems like QVC should be able to do the same thing.  I don't give a flying Wallenda what someone thinks about how a product looks, tell me your experience with the product.

Honored Contributor

I rely heavily on customer reviews especially if they are returning the item. If S&H and returns were free, I might take a chance on a bad review, but that's not the case with the Q. IMO you can tell if the review is legit by the way the reviewer expresses themselves. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think you have to read through reviews with a grain of salt.

Yesterday hubby and I were looking for a new reel type hose holder for outside. I looked at the 2 big box hardware stores online to see what each had and compare. The one that we actually bought had these type of bad reviews.......... " my 1/2 in hose won't wind on the spool right junk" (Product info says for 3/4 hoses only) and "spiders were making a home in it"

I looked at the reviews to see how durable it was and whether it leaks....