Esteemed Contributor

"daily deals" just jumped the shark

It has been strange for quite awhile now to have multiple Today's Special Values and Big Deals available for days at a time, as it diminishes any "specialness" or "dailyness" that they might have. But I think this phenomenon officially jumped the shark during ITKWD tonight as they included presentations of the TSV for today, the TSV coming up on Sunday, and yesterday's Big Deal, along with two of the many One Day Only items available for the day.

I realize that offering these items for longer time periods facilitates additional sales, but the naming convention is totally pointless now. Oh, well. Happy shopping...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "daily deals" just jumped the shark

I remember participating in several threads from people asking management for TSVs to last longer than 24 hours, or for more than one TSV in a day.

They needed more time to check competitive prices, measure for sizes, contact family members, and sometimes, just make up their minds.  

So I'm happy to see "special" prices extended beyond 24 hours.  I suppose they packed all those into David's show because it's a peak viewership show. That's the price he pays for being popular.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Daily or multiple deals are no different than daily deals in brick and mortar or any online retail business.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that extending the availability and price of a TSV is a terrific idea.  It lessens the pressure to buy if you are thinking about a purchase and need to consider it more thoroughly or do some research.

Funny though how almost none of them sell out anymore and there's often a good variety left.  (I guess they are ordering more than they did in the past).

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager @I remember in the past where they sold over one hundred thousand of a special value.

They would say run to the phone to place your order and sometimes you really had to or your size or color was goners at midnight.

Honored Contributor

I don't much care what they name the sale items -  I like having availability for several days.  That's because I almost always like having time to research and think before I order almost any item. Once upon a time when Internet and TV shopping was a new and different thing, so were my shopping habits different.  But I was much younger then, had different needs.  I like to think I'm a much more careful shopper now than I was then.  That makes me happy for those extra days.

Honored Contributor

This indicates to me that they're not selling like "hotcakes." Lol. Maybe they're priced too high.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~