Respected Contributor

Re: "Up the Wazoo!" Host just said

It's time for everyone to stop being so overly sensitive to meaningless "stuff".

Life can be so tough at times, & little things like this just don't matter....not even the tiniest bit. Heart

Respected Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

It's time for everyone to stop being so overly sensitive to meaningless "stuff".

Life can be so tough at times, & little things like this just don't matter....not even the tiniest bit. Heart

I so agree with this @spot555!  I just realized  that I have no idea who this host is.  Guess it's been that long since I've watched. 

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Valued Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

Yes life is much too tough to sound like a professional when you are working

How did she even manage to make in with all that's going on !!!

we sure have lowered the bar

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Language doesn't stay stagnant. It evolves.

Up/out the wazzoo is so common, that it is nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

*yawn*

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

...As to the topic...it's only natural we're going to slip up now and then, but I prefer public speakers in any capacity not consistently use words or phrases that have the potential to be interpreted as "unacceptable."   ... 

Clarification:   I'm speaking only of circumlocution and/or euphemism.   Even if you were speaking the truth or using a controversial word in the correct way/context, for example, some people might find that unacceptable.   But, I'm speaking of just words or phrases that used to be considered improper or impolite to use (especially in public).

My neighbor, a Mom with a couple of pre-teens, and I had a similar conversation a while back (just a general discussion of the courseness of society and language being in our faces).   To use the topic's example, she essentially said that she didn't want to have to explain to her children what "up the wazoo" meant.  LOL.  Of course, she would limit the explanation to "it means in great quantity," but she has a young word-nerd-in-the-making who would then use the phrase to mean "in great quantity!"   Funny, but not...she said she had enough to deal with shielding her children from things she shouldn't have to be dealing with in the first place.

See?  This is the kind of post I make when I have too much danged (kidding!) time on my hands, which really isn't the case...I have, ironing and grocery shopping and mending to do not to mention that Handsome wants me to hold the serpentine hose so he can tweak the water pump!

Carry on.

@MacDUFF, talk about euphemisms! :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Like I tell my preschoolers .... "use your words."     That kind of talk shows no class.

Honored Contributor

IMO - what upsets people is different among different people.  We are all different. Therefore, I don't think any one person should be telling another what he or she should or shouldn't be upset about.  It's an individual thing, some of it dependent on upbringing, age, etc.   What upsets one person surely may not upset another but doesn't make the first person being upset any less valid.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3

Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

BTW and FYI...it's a serpentine belt.   Word nerds will understand.  Smiley Very Happy

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I never thought of " a Big Bang for your buck" in a vulgar sense, until you mentioned it! 😳

There are quite a few posters who look for, and point out, "the vulgar sense" in anything and anyone. They revel in it. Even if it's not there and never was. 

From Wikipedia:

Bang for the buck is an idiom meaning the worth of one's money or exertion. The phrase originated from the slang usage of the words "bang" which means "excitement" and "buck" which means "money".[1] Variations of the term include "bang for your buck," "bang for one's buck," "more bang for the buck," "bigger bang for the buck," and mixings of these. "More bang for the buck" was preceded by "more bounce to the ounce", an advertising slogan used in 1950 to market the carbonated soft drink Pepsi.

The phrase "bigger bang for the buck" was notably used by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of Defense, Charles Erwin Wilson, in 1954. He used it to describe the New Look policy of depending on nuclear weapons, rather than a large regular army, to keep the Soviet Union in check. Today, the phrase is used to mean a greater worth for the money used.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Personally, I can accept, "up the wazoo" over the awful "these ones".  That makes my jaw tighten.