Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Up the Wazoo!" Host just said

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I never thought of " a Big Bang for your buck" in a vulgar sense, until you mentioned it! 😳

There are quite a few posters who look for, and point out, "the vulgar sense" in anything and anyone. They revel in it. Even if it's not there and never was. 

From Wikipedia:

Bang for the buck is an idiom meaning the worth of one's money or exertion. The phrase originated from the slang usage of the words "bang" which means "excitement" and "buck" which means "money".[1] Variations of the term include "bang for your buck," "bang for one's buck," "more bang for the buck," "bigger bang for the buck," and mixings of these. "More bang for the buck" was preceded by "more bounce to the ounce", an advertising slogan used in 1950 to market the carbonated soft drink Pepsi.

The phrase "bigger bang for the buck" was notably used by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Secretary of Defense, Charles Erwin Wilson, in 1954. He used it to describe the New Look policy of depending on nuclear weapons, rather than a large regular army, to keep the Soviet Union in check. Today, the phrase is used to mean a greater worth for the money used.

@Moonchilde

I swear, people go looking for things to get offended about, even if they don't really exist.

They would complain if they had nothing to complain about! *lol*

Honored Contributor

I use that expression but then I'm not a professional on TV.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The term "references" ~or~ is an inuendo to what we all "sit on."   Just sayin ....

Respected Contributor

The hosts have to sometimes talk about one item for twenty minutes or so.....do you know how hard that is?! Cut them some slack. 

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I never thought of " a Big Bang for your buck" in a vulgar sense, until you mentioned it! 😳

value for money; performance for cost.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately there have been surprisingly unpolished statements made. Albany Irvin was too much for me with "she could spit" comments.  I wish her well, but I had difficulty watching her. Thankfully Shawn Killinger toned down her on air persona, having the baby will mellow her. Her heart seems to be genuinely kind. It used to make me cringe the way she manhandled fashion pieces, and the questions that she asks Isaac makes me wonder is she that naive?  Finally,  I love Katie McGhee, but sayng  "I tell you what"  makes me change the channel. 

Regular Contributor

It seems that each 'new' group of hosts gets worse.....  and the latest definitely ARE horrible.....  where do they dredge them up from???

Honored Contributor

I cringe when a host prefaces her next remark about an item  with "I'm not going to lie to you."   So does that mean everything else she has been saying has been lying?   I'm presuming you aren't lying to me - why single something out as saying "this next sentence isn't going to be a lie"?  To me that implies everything else you say is -- or at least may be - a lie.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

The hosts have to sometimes talk about one item for twenty minutes or so.....do you know how hard that is?! Cut them some slack. 

Give me a break.  The signed up for it.  It's their job.

Respected Contributor

I find this expression to be very dated: I haven't heard it said by a real person in decades.