Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It's easy to figure out what is unkind and what is not.

Put your name in the comments instead of the hosts and imagine how you would feel if you read your new hairstyle is unattractive, or that the Clothing you wore in front of millions on TV made you look fat or overweight.

How would you feel if you read that you ate too much during the presentations, or you mispronounced a word or made a mistake. So you took off a sick day and read comments stating that your sickness was minor and you should have worked....I could go one and on, but you get it.

If you have a negative comment about a host, keep it to yourself.

ITA - Regarding the hosts, they no doubt could care less. They are on TV to sell, sell, and reap the benefits to take care of their own families.  Would you go into a brick and mortar store and say those things to a salesperson? Probably not, because you can't hide behind a computer screen.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I think the hosts care...everyone is human and stinging comments hurt no matter how much money you make.

Some people are more sensitive than others though.

Honored Contributor

@CarmieAgree totally with your last line, and would add that if you say something that you wouldn't say directly to someone sitting at the dinner tsable as your guest, it's probably not okay to say it anonymously on any social media either.

Valued Contributor

Some of the things that have been said on here about the hosts, and some vendors, has been more than just unkind.

The stuff you wouldn't dare to say to some salesperson's face for fear they would return the favor.

Other things have just been rude. The comments of too fat, too loud, too ugly a hair style, who would wear that, etc. No one needs to have that stuff said to them. If nothing else, it's just not polite.

Manners seems to have gone by the wayside. Along with respect, and responsibility.

They are salespeople, just like the ones in the stores. They are there to sell. What they don't need is the "constructive" criticism that people sitting out in tv land seem to think is all important. And, no, the powers that be aren't in need of assistance either.

How well would anyone else's boss react to someone coming up to them and saying that salesperson has an awful haircut? Or they don't dress the way they should? My boss would have let the person know that he had things to do and he would have walked away.

Some, not all, people have just gotten in behind that computer screen and misplaced the idea of being nice. It's their chance to be as rude as possible, and they are off and running.

Honored Contributor

It's about the attitude.  One can voice their opinion without  tearing a.person they don't know to shreds.  If they can't, it's probably best to move along.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper 

Hi Careful Shopper, 

I am definitely an adult, but still not certain what constitutes "unkind to host".  In my working life I have had my job performance critiqued;  it is part of the job.  I worked for a law firm and one day one of the attorneys commented my roots were showing and I needed a hair appointment.   Since he was very bald, I should have told him to go buy a toupee, but I didn't!  His comment was most assuredly unkind!  However, if he said any aspect of my job performance needed improvement, that would not be unkind, that would be an important bit of information for me to follow. 

Unfortunately, the problem here lies in the fact that comments are stopped without any clue as to what was stated.  We just get the note "unkind to host".  

If a poster states that host A  is a big, fat pig that indeed is unkind.  However, if a poster comments that host B spends too much time discussing personal info, that is, IMO, not unkind.  Rather, it is an observation on a host's job performance.   

Seems we, who pay the hosts by purchasing merchandise, are only supposed to be a cheering section.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nicI agree with you that there is no clean & fast rule or guide for what gets poofed and what stays.  We will never know what some posts said if we weren't there for the shocker.  I'm fine with that.

The Mods' stating "unkind to host" is a simple euphemism for way out of bounds for this forum.  I think we can guess it was probably more than not liking someone's hairstyle today.

It may take some time, but you can find hundreds of posts right now that are very critical of the hosts and or vendors, that are far from cheering section opinions.  They are still there because the Mods, in their decision, feel they are a part of the conversation, rather than outright nasty.  Again, it's subjective, and will never get 100% agreement from posters or even the entire group of Mods, I bet.  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe "unkind" means criticism of things that can't be changed, such as physical appearance.  I would think that anything else (talks too much or talks too fast or shares too many family stories, etc) would be viewed as constructive criticism since those things can be changed.

But it seems that different mods have different standards.  Sometimes questionable posts and topics are left alone while others that are pretty tame get zapped early on.  It would be interesting to know if  "unkind to host" has a specific definition, but I have a feeling it doesn't and that it's subjective, depending on which mod is on duty and sees it.

Respected Contributor

a thread was just shut down for "unfounded speculation" 

thats a new one. 

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

a thread was just shut down for "unfounded speculation" 

thats a new one. 

I guess even they had enough of the gushing nonsense.