Respected Contributor

"That's my jam"???

[ Edited ]

Today I decided to watch Gourmet Food with SS & RB (who I can do without).  Did not watch it all but when I did watch segments, both SS and RB used the term "that's my jam" or "I'm jamming"....always thought that term referred to songs and/or music--JT does "Jane's Jam" on her shoe shows! Have heard SS use this term on her cooking show and wondered what she was talking about. Am I out of touch with the lingo or or just not understanding the meaning of the term????

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "That's my jam"???

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove - It's the same principle: If a particular song is "your jam," as in a tune you really enjoy, then another object being "your jam" has a similar effect on you.

ETA: Unless, of course, the ladies were selling actual jam...  Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

"That's my jam." = "That's my thing."

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove: "That's my jam" and "I'm jamming" aren't new expressions.  They're what you'd call "old school" sayings. I remember "that's my jam" referring to a favorite song or record. "I'm jamming" is a little hard to explain. Here's my explanation:  when someone says "I'm jamming", it simply means they're doing their thing and having fun. Get it? Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the explanation everyone...  I remember using the term "jam session" but I was rather young (teen/20's) when we used it.  I figured the expression had been recycled to mean somethng different since it was food shows, although it actually sounded rather juvenile to me coming from grown women.

Contributor

On Shoe Shopping with Jane, when she say's Jane's Jam, I always think of toe jam. ewww.

Trusted Contributor

No wonder a lot of the population cannot even put a correct sentence together.  The English skills in the US are terrible.  All these abbreviations, slang terms, etc.  Imguess I must be getting old.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

No wonder a lot of the population cannot even put a correct sentence together.  The English skills in the US are terrible.  All these abbreviations, slang terms, etc.  Imguess I must be getting old.  Smiley Sad

@Jinlei 

Slang has been around since forever.

Every generation has had their own slang words.

Even yours.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Lost in Yonkers wrote:

On Shoe Shopping with Jane, when she say's Jane's Jam, I always think of toe jam. ewww.

Agree with you.  "Jane's Jam" is a poor name for that segment, particularly since she's known to try on shoes in her bare feet. 

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei 

I agree with you!  The phrase that I just don't get is "she's rocking those shoes" or "rocking those jeans".  I think it means that the person looks good wearing the item.  Is that right?  I don't get out much!  LOL!