Trusted Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

Anyone remember the old TV show "The Electric Company"?  At the beginning of each show Rita Moreno would scream "HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!" in an extremely obnoxious voice.  Maybe she used to watch it.

@mormel20   I do remember The Electric Company and Rita Moreno! I loved that show. It was very hip back in the day. I also remember Morgan Freeman being on it. 😄

Esteemed Contributor

Born and bred Jersey girl who says you guys and lots of other regional words, used it when  moved to CA and still used you guys. Now in Texas use y'all as well as you guys.  I pretty much have some generic way of speaking unless I'm speaking to my sister in NJ, then I revert to my native Jersey language. I love all the different dialects across the country and think it's rude to make fun of any of them.  

Super Contributor

I don't like "you guys" either. It's careless diction in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

Doesn't bother me at all, because I know it's a regional thing.  Like y'all.  Why do y'all have to put down people from other places, or different than you?

@Hippiified Agree!  Although, I do find it offensive when people call me "miss" and my first name.  That to me is when you are speaking to a very young lady or a very old woman.  To call grown women "Miss" Jane or whatever denotes a put-down, dismissive, not very respectful tone.

Probably just me!  I also think "gals" is something very elderly women say.

Probably also just me!  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

She could always go with the Southern Y'all; but You Guys doesn't bother me in the least.  It encompasses all sexes.  

@Icegoddess 

Equally icky y'all and you guys.  Toss a coin.  It's 6 of one and half-dozen of the other.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@SuhseK 

Your reply reminds me of something that really, really, really annoyed me so much that I couldn't even ......

Louis Dell'Olio's:  "this is how I like MY LADIES to dress."  

----------------------------

@SuhseK wrote:

I am not particularly, a fan of Lori's designs.  

However, it seems that everybody, their sister and brother, all say "you guys". 

It doesn't bother me in the least. As for the "you ladies", how about the men, that might be watching? 

I just as soon the 1-2 men watching be "ladies" as the millions of women watching be "guys."

Contributor

@tansy I grew up on the west coast and we always said "you guys". When I moved to the south it's "y'all". I have noticed in the past that LG does overuse "you guys". 

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with "you guys."  It's said in a very pleasant, upbeat, non-confrontational manner.  I like it!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Listen "you guys"..

[ Edited ]

Oh, for Heavens sake!  It's a regional thing.  I grew up in the middle of the USA and have always said "you guys" -- and am definitely not offended when someone says it to me because it's just everyday language around here.  Everyone has their regional slang that they grew up with.  When I moved to the south temporarily, their "Y'all" drove me nutty for a while.... then I started saying "Y'all" myself.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

HO HUM, yet another whine because someone does like what another says!    Woman Indifferent

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)