Honored Contributor

Re: "Just buy it NOW!"

[ Edited ]

The sad but simple truth is that after watching QVC only for about eight or so years, there is nothing they have to offer, given the 'deals' by which they're generally offering it, that will any longer induce me to cave to the hard sell. In the early days, I might have fallen for some of the sales gimmicks and then again, in the early days the merchandise and the mix of products was better... so there was more often something I did actually really not want to miss out on. These days, well not so much.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I cannot watch Kerstin trying to sell anything. To me she doesn't know much about the product so she just starts saying "Buy It!" 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Esteemed Contributor

@culebra I don't know if they do, but I think Lisa Robertson was a "natural" at sales.  After reading the article about O'Leary, I thought of Lisa R and IMO she did have that "it" factor for sales.

Valued Contributor

@cah wrote:

The hard sell never works on me.
If anything, it completely turns me off.
It's like walking into a store and the sales
people jump all over you. I usually walk out.
I like to browse and not be pressured before I even know what I want.

I was once one of the biggest fans of QVC, but lately with some of the hosts and the hour long sales pitches, it's just too tedious for me now. I feel like I lost an old friend though. 

it has never worked for me either,  I am a mature, responsible woman who knows what I need and do not need, and those items in between that I just like or want,  I DECIDE FOR MYSELF if I really want it that badly,  For this reason, I usually just look online or if I do watch a show I want to see, watch I watch it on mute, in between reading or knitting. 

Esteemed Contributor

I suppose I've watched TV shopping channels way too long to be suckered into the sales lines. When it's gone it's gone is my favorite. A philosophy prof could probably give us an existential analysis of that one. Long ago I concluded that if I really want something, I'll order it. Otherwise, I don't succumb to the hard sell tactics.

Valued Contributor

test

Respected Contributor

The statements that makes my eyes roll are "feel free to buy several" and "get this in black and white and pick up a color too".    Sure I will! 

Honored Contributor

I'm not one for the hard-sell either (times a million) but, truth be told, I believe that it sells more than it repels.

They need to sell as much as possible, so they've probably done the studies.  Plus they have those constant number things that show how many items are selling in each second of the presentation.