Frequent Contributor

No Kerstin....I am NOT going to buy it now, no matter what you are selling if you use that approach......and no, I will not buy two or three......no, I am NOT going to "just get it"........gosh.......awful, awful sales approach......

Honored Contributor

Ah, the harder sell....  we're seeing more and more hosts doing this.  Hard to get people to spend their money out there when there isn't much money out there to spend.

I've been selling on eBay off and on since 2001 and am seeing the worst year I've ever had.  And I'm selling items I think people still need, excellent condition 2nd hand clothing, housewares, shoes, handbags etc. at low prices.... still very bad out there...

So I imagine that QVC who was used to 100k in sales for TSVs is hurting when they get a grand total for the day of 35k....  and then there are the returns!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I was just going to post about this topic....

The Hard Sell is horrible...(get to the phones now...order it now..buy more then one now)  throw in the Scare Tactics....(didn't bring in many..only order of the season....)

I don't tune in often....now I know why...its worse then ever..all the fun has gone...

All the Hosts do it...some more then others....but they are all guilty of the pressure buying sales...

I like the Gift Shows...or should I say I USE to like them...thats why I have the Q. on today...not sure if it will stay on...sad..

Honored Contributor

She wasn't kidding though, the purple set sold out.

Trusted Contributor
If you watched 20/20 last night they had a segment with Kevin O'leary....the secret of the sell.....qvc needs to know when to walk away #5....Be sticky, not gummy.... See the 5 secrets below....I found it interesting but I am in sales so.....see link below(if interested):
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/shark-tank-investor-kevin-oleary-reveals-secrets-sale/story?id=341277...
Valued Contributor

The hard sell never works on me.
If anything, it completely turns me off.
It's like walking into a store and the sales
people jump all over you. I usually walk out.
I like to browse and not be pressured before I even know what I want.

I was once one of the biggest fans of QVC, but lately with some of the hosts and the hour long sales pitches, it's just too tedious for me now. I feel like I lost an old friend though. 

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
If you watched 20/20 last night they had a segment with Kevin O'leary....the secret of the sell.....qvc needs to know when to walk away #5....Be sticky, not gummy.... See the 5 secrets below....I found it interesting but I am in sales so.....see link below(if interested):
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/shark-tank-investor-kevin-oleary-reveals-secrets-sale/story?id=341277...

Regarding #5, that's fairly impossible to do as an on air salesperson.  They have to fill up the allotted time.  I think that is meant more for face to face presentations.  I do wish the time used to speak about the product actually included factual and informative information rather than sales phrase du jour and inane gushing.  

Trusted Contributor

David has to co-star with the second worse female host on Q.  Poor guy.  I feel sorry for HIM.  I too had to work with people who had strange work ethics.   It was difficult.  Hang In There, David. 

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

I was just going to post about this topic....

The Hard Sell is horrible...(get to the phones now...order it now..buy more then one now)  throw in the Scare Tactics....(didn't bring in many..only order of the season....)

I don't tune in often....now I know why...its worse then ever..all the fun has gone...

All the Hosts do it...some more then others....but they are all guilty of the pressure buying sales...

I like the Gift Shows...or should I say I USE to like them...thats why I have the Q. on today...not sure if it will stay on...sad.

Ahhh yes, and don't forget the eternal, "When it's gone  ... it's gone. Don't know if we'll be be getting them back in." haha

Honored Contributor

I love the "When it's gone it's gone"..... yes, that's true but they're sure to have something else that's similar come in..... I don't mind waiting and (gasp) I don't mind paying a little more at the regular price.  (That's because their sale/clearance prices are usually not much)..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*