Honored Contributor

click on fashion and then go to new arrivals.

you will notice that most of the fashion items now say "FABRICATION:".....looks like the word is here to stay.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I worked for a primary metals company.   "Fabrication" was one of the final processes of turning ore into a finished product.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I was watching a videoclip of Rachael Ray selling cookware and she repeatedly talked about the fabrication of the items when referring to the colors they came in. I thought that the usage of the word "fabrication" was odd.

Valued Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I worked for a primary metals company.   "Fabrication" was one of the final processes of turning ore into a finished product.

I agree.

I work with sterling silver and fabrication is what is done with the metal when fashioned into wire or tubing, etc.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Frequent Contributor

Fabrication bugs me too. another one that gets on my nerves is you've got, It is a contraction for you have---got isn't a needed word in this case. "You have", would sound a little better to my ears!! It's like nails on a chalkboad. 

Honored Contributor

To me, the word "fabrication" implies that the material was manufactured, i.e. fabricated. Polyester, nylon, and spandex are examples.

On the other hand, cotton, wool, linen and silk are natural fibers, so to me, those are "fabrics," not fabrications.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I was watching a videoclip of Rachael Ray selling cookware and she repeatedly talked about the fabrication of the items when referring to the colors they came in. I thought that the usage of the word "fabrication" was odd.

People often use buzzwords without knowing or caring what they actually mean, just *because* they are trendy buzzwords (at least, someone told them that, sometime, somewhere). RR has never struck me as the brightest bulb, so she might say whatever she thought made her sound smart. Just like QVC hosts.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Hate that stupid word. It's pretentious and just plain dumb.

Honored Contributor

I don't like it either.  I learned a long time ago that that i can't control other people. But I can control my reaction to others. I have enough problems of my own that I don't need to worry and fret about things I can't control.

Respected Contributor

<To me, the word "fabrication" implies that the material was manufactured, i.e. fabricated. Polyester, nylon, and spandex are examples.

On the other hand, cotton, wool, linen and silk are natural fibers, so to me, those are "fabrics," not fabrications.>

handygal, ITA. Languages evolve and 'made up' words become used & sometimes useful. I always felt fabrication describes blended fabrics. Similar to what other posters decribed in metal manufacturing.