Valued Contributor

The use of the made-up word 'fabrication' to mean fabric or type of fabric on the fashion shows is bad enough, but now Rachel Ray is using the word fabrication to describe the materials in her cookware!

There are plenty of delightful, useful words in the English language.  No need to make up your own.

Per dictionary.com definition of fabrication

noun

the act or process of fabricating; manufacture.
something fabricated, especially an untruthful statement
Respected Contributor

I have noticed that HSN uses this word also.  

Frequent Contributor

The vendor for Highgate Manor (HSN) loves that word.

Esteemed Contributor

Ugh.  I always hated it when they used that word to describe the material in a piece of clothing.  It seemed to start with one host (or vendor) and, before I knew it, they were all saying it.  I couldn't believe my ears!

I had to LOL when I read your post.  Really Rachel?  Sheesh! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Why  can't they just use the word fabric??? The word fabrication drives me batty!

Esteemed Contributor

I think this very topic has been discussed in earlier threads on this forum. As I recall, some folks in the fashion industry shared that the use of the word "fabrication" is quite common in this industry. 

Valued Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I think this very topic has been discussed in earlier threads on this forum. As I recall, some folks in the fashion industry shared that the use of the word "fabrication" is quite common in this industry. 

I had heard this, however, I looked at every definition of fabrication that come up on the first page of a google search (including the wikipedia page) and it does not say anything about it meaning what hosts/vendorson QVC use it to mean.

Assuming it is a real fashion industry jargon word, I still don't understand why the word 'fabric' isn't good enough.  Just a pet peeve of mine, I also don't see the need for the word 'utilize' for example, when the word 'use' works just fine.. Smiley LOL

and either way, the type of material used to make pots and pans is NOT fashion!! Smiley Frustrated

Regular Contributor

I did a post about this earlier in 2015 and had many responses.  I was also not the first to mention this in a post.  What I find puzzling is that that has been discussed often that QVC does nothing to enlighten hosts ånd vendors.  Don't they continually monitor posts and kick off those not to their liking?  Why won't the fix this?

Esteemed Contributor

Tantallum--I think you are just fabricationing this subject up......lol

Esteemed Contributor

Fabrication is one of my pet peeves...also "colorway". Why not just say color.  We have many colorways in this fabrication...so stilted.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth