Occasional Contributor
Absolutely infuriated and sad that QVC has an ad about celebrating Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor those who died in service to our country is not a sales ploy.
Valued Contributor

Re: "Celebrate" Memorial Day?

Unfortunately, QVC is not alone.

Respected Contributor

You might want to send your message to all the other millions of retailers doing the same, as it has been for years and years.  Same as Christmas sales etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@dusty_house wrote:
Absolutely infuriated and sad that QVC has an ad about celebrating Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor those who died in service to our country is not a sales ploy.

You may see it as a sales ploy, and it may well be, but the term is totally appropriate according to the definition in 2a. This was taken from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. 

Definition of celebrate; celebrated; celebrating
transitive verb

1: to perform (a sacrament or solemn ceremony) publicly and with appropriate rites.

A priest celebrates Mass.

2a : to honor (an occasion, such as a holiday) especially by solemn ceremonies or by refraining from ordinary business.

The nation celebrates Memorial Day.

2b : to mark (something, such as an anniversary) by festivities or other deviation from routine.

They celebrated their 25th anniversary.

3: to hold up or play up for public notice.

Her poetry celebrates the glory of nature.

These were listed as synonyms for the verb celebrate:

commemorate, observe, mark, keep, honor, remember, and memorialize

Honored Contributor

It's a HOLIDAY!  Yes, we should remember and revere those who have served and those who have died.  But that doesn't mean it is a national day of mourning.

It is a time of remembering and being thankful.  Having a good time does not exclude that.

Trusted Contributor

@dusty_house wrote:

I haven't seen the ad.  But it seems that's the way it is with retail, I guess beause Memorial Day weekend is the official start of Summer.  When I'm posting on Twitter and FB regarding Memorial Day, I never use the terms "celebrate" or "Happy Memorial Day."  There are many who don't realize that Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor our fallen heroes.  I heard David today at the start of ITKWD mention Memorial Day and our veterans who died in the line of duty. 

Honored Contributor

I think we are so lucky to be free and do anything we want on the day we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice and all those who served and are serving today.. I'm taking a picnic lunch to my son's place tomorrow. My son is a vet and my husband served in Viet Nam.

Honored Contributor

Y'all should have heard the dingbat host and kitchen lady on Evine this morning merrily wishing everyone a "happy Memorial Day".  It was disgusting. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner Nicely stated.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624  In all my years, I have never told anyone "happy memorial day."  I don't believe they put much thought into what they are saying.  Woman Sad