Honored Contributor

Re: "Celebrate" Memorial Day?

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@dusty_house wrote:
Absolutely infuriated and sad that QVC has an ad about celebrating Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor those who died in service to our country is not a sales ploy.

You may see it as a sales ploy, and it may well be, but the term is totally appropriate according to the definition in 2a. This was taken from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. 

Definition of celebrate; celebrated; celebrating
transitive verb

1: to perform (a sacrament or solemn ceremony) publicly and with appropriate rites.

A priest celebrates Mass.

2a : to honor (an occasion, such as a holiday) especially by solemn ceremonies or by refraining from ordinary business.

The nation celebrates Memorial Day.

2b : to mark (something, such as an anniversary) by festivities or other deviation from routine.

They celebrated their 25th anniversary.

3: to hold up or play up for public notice.

Her poetry celebrates the glory of nature.

These were listed as synonyms for the verb celebrate:

commemorate, observe, mark, keep, honor, remember, and memorialize

Interesting point and good information, @SusieQ_2.    Thanks! image.gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Hey @dooBdoo, I hope you're having a nice holiday weekend!

I was a little hesitant about my post because I didn't want the OP, @dusty_house, to think I was trying to minimize her feelings. I can't speak for her/him, but I think she/he was just feeling like people tend to forget the true meaning of Memorial Day and don't give it the respect it deserves. I totally get that, but I also think we should give others the benefit of the doubt since I really don't think the people at the Q have a lack of respect for the meaning of the day.

I think there are those who exclaim "Happy Memorial Day" without having given the phrase real thought. I honestly don't think anyone means true disrespect with that utterance and rather than chide them maybe it's best to gently remind them that there are more appropriate ways to acknowledge it.

I truly believe we can enjoy our friends and family with a joyful celebration while still paying homage to the brave men and women who gave everything so we could enjoy, not just a holiday, but every day in the greatest country in the world.

Honored Contributor

I cringe whenever I hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day".  Sadly, many have lost sight of the true meaning of this say.  RIP all those who gave their lives for us.

Honored Contributor

Why do people have to look for offense?  People mean well even if it doesn't quite come out that way.  Stop looking for reasons to be offended.  Everyone knows retailers use Memorial Day and Labor Day and Veteran's Day to bark sales and deals.  

My son is a veteran....about to be deployed for the 4th time.  He's lost 11 soldiers/friends in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It's very hard on him to have lost friends and some of his own soldiers.  He uses the term celebrate to remember their wonderful lives and remember to honor them. 

I took my parents on a tour of cemeteries the other day to celebrate and remember the lives of family members who have passed.  It's an honor to remember their lives and their impacts on us.  And we celebrate where they are now and hope to join them someday.

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Why do people have to look for offense?  People mean well even if it doesn't quite come out that way.  Stop looking for reasons to be offended.  Everyone knows retailers use Memorial Day and Labor Day and Veteran's Day to bark sales and deals.  

My son is a veteran....about to be deployed for the 4th time.  He's lost 11 soldiers/friends in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It's very hard on him to have lost friends and some of his own soldiers.  He uses the term celebrate to remember their wonderful lives and remember to honor them. 

I took my parents on a tour of cemeteries the other day to celebrate and remember the lives of family members who have passed.  It's an honor to remember their lives and their impacts on us.  And we celebrate where they are now and hope to join them someday.

So right on!  Like you, I visited my Dads grave on Saturday and put some flowers there.  However, on Sunday our family gathered for a cookout I hosted and yes, we enjoyed ourselves.  Call it a celebration if you like.  We laughed, we talked, ate, caught up on everyone's stuff and just enjoyed being together.  My mother is still with us at 89 years of age and I believe this is EXACTLY what my father would want us to be doing.  By the way, my father was a combat vet from WWII who saw plenty of action when he was not much more than a kid.  My brother spent his day with us and he was a Marine who saw horrible action in VietNam at the ripe old age of 19.

Honored Contributor

SusieQ_2 wrote:

Hey @dooBdoo, I hope you're having a nice holiday weekend!

I was a little hesitant about my post because I didn't want the OP, @dusty_house, to think I was trying to minimize her feelings. I can't speak for her/him, but I think she/he was just feeling like people tend to forget the true meaning of Memorial Day and don't give it the respect it deserves. I totally get that, but I also think we should give others the benefit of the doubt since I really don't think the people at the Q have a lack of respect for the meaning of the day.

I think there are those who exclaim "Happy Memorial Day" without having given the phrase real thought. I honestly don't think anyone means true disrespect with that utterance and rather than chide them maybe it's best to gently remind them that there are more appropriate ways to acknowledge it.

I truly believe we can enjoy our friends and family with a joyful celebration while still paying homage to the brave men and women who gave everything so we could enjoy, not just a holiday, but every day in the greatest country in the world.

Thanks, @SusieQ_2!   I hope you've had a nice holiday weekend, too.  

I agree with your post.    I've replied on several other threads about this, so without going into detail I'll post the short version from another thread...  I admit I wince at the "Happy Memorial Day" greeting for many reasons but at the very same time I choose to believe that most people offer any greeting with good intent and generous hearts.   If they wish to feel happy, or wish others happiness, then let's embrace that as a celebration of the magnificent and valuable lives of those who served our country and gave the ultimate sacrifice in battle.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova