Trusted Contributor

Re: paying your order by check

On 3/25/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

OMG ..... WHY would you ever pay by check?

For me personally, if I'm not in a hurry for an item (or items), I will pay by check just because I don't like to constantly put things on a credit card. Sometimes I'd rather have something come to me and I know it's already paid for -- no bill coming in the future.

Honored Contributor

I have been told by my bank numerous times that my Visa debit card has the same protection as Visa credit cards. I trust them. Maybe its just Visa.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2014 TammySu said:
On 3/25/2014 Bikkie said:
On 3/25/2014 twopeas said:
On 3/25/2014 misschristy said:

Because some people don't like to charge. It's easier to pay with what you have in your available cash. Also, many people don't like to use debits online because if someone hacks yr bank account it's a lot worse than them hacking a credit card. Why do you care?

People should never, ever pay w/ a debit card. Ever ! If you use a credit card, you can dispute an unauthorized charge. I have complete confidence in QVC taking care of a fraudulent charge if one should appear on my Q card. (Which it never has).

That's not true at all. A debit card will have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it and IS protected. I have disputed charges on my Visa debit card (attached to my checking account) when someone used it for airline tickets.

Agree. I once had unauthorized charges for a TV and a coach bag on mine! When I disputed the charges, they were wiped out.

Here's why I won't use my debit card on-line: The perpetrator could wipe you out, meanwhile, all the checks you sent out for bills can bounce, your card could be denied while shopping (how embarrassing), it takes time for the dealings with the bank and to get a new card. At least w/ using a credit card, the bank usually calls you if they suspect fraud and your card can be closed and a new one issued w/o any "pains" for you in the meantime.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 3/25/2014 Hibi said:

A lot of people use the check option to reserve an item and later change it to a credit card. That's what I do. I like to check reviews and oftentimes I'm unsure what credit card I want to use. If I change my mind, I can always cancel it, and I'm not stuck returning the item. It usually stays in the check status for 10 to 14 days before they will cancel it, if they haven't received the check.........

Doing that is abusing the system and QVC does send out letters warning you that they will not allow you to pay by check anymore.

I wind up ordering 90% of the items I order that way, so I don't feel I'm abusing the system.

I've also never had my item sell out. Even if it did, I'd be ok with waitlist.........

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 3/25/2014 Hibi said:

A lot of people use the check option to reserve an item and later change it to a credit card. That's what I do. I like to check reviews and oftentimes I'm unsure what credit card I want to use. If I change my mind, I can always cancel it, and I'm not stuck returning the item. It usually stays in the check status for 10 to 14 days before they will cancel it, if they haven't received the check.........

Doing that is abusing the system and QVC does send out letters warning you that they will not allow you to pay by check anymore.

ITA Bikkie - it's ridiculous that anyone thinks it's ok or thinks they are so clever doing it.

Customer service reps at Q tell people this option is available, and admit to using it themselves, so I guess that the company doesn't see it as wrong.

It can be abused, if someone is doing it excessively, and would probably be warned by the company at some point, but for those that end up buying the items in some fashion or another most of the time, Q is going to be happy to have the money.

It is true that if a product sells down before you change the payment method or get your check to them, you will loose out to a credit paying customer.

Super Contributor

Just use a credit card.... pay it off each month... IF and I say IF there is a discrepancy or problem... it is not your money lost. I have one credit card that I designate for my online shopping. I get PAID BACK for using it!! Usually $100.00 a month free money just for using my card.... makes no sense not to use credit in a positive way.

Super Contributor

On 3/26/2014 twopeas said:
On 3/26/2014 TammySu said:
On 3/25/2014 twopeas said:
On 3/25/2014 misschristy said:

Because some people don't like to charge. It's easier to pay with what you have in your available cash. Also, many people don't like to use debits online because if someone hacks yr bank account it's a lot worse than them hacking a credit card. Why do you care?

People should never, ever pay w/ a debit card. Ever ! If you use a credit card, you can dispute an unauthorized charge. I have complete confidence in QVC taking care of a fraudulent charge if one should appear on my Q card. (Which it never has).

That's not true at all. A debit card will have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it and IS protected. I have disputed charges on my Visa debit card (attached to my checking account) when someone used it for airline tickets.

Agree. I once had unauthorized charges for a TV and a coach bag on mine! When I disputed the charges, they were wiped out.

Here's why I won't use my debit card on-line: The perpetrator could wipe you out, meanwhile, all the checks you sent out for bills can bounce, your card could be denied while shopping (how embarrassing), it takes time for the dealings with the bank and to get a new card. At least w/ using a credit card, the bank usually calls you if they suspect fraud and your card can be closed and a new one issued w/o any "pains" for you in the meantime.

BINGO. You nailed it. If someone hacks my credit card (which seems to happen at least once a year anymore) a simple call to the credit card company fixes it--and I get a new card. NO money comes out of my account!! My Visa Debit card stays home---I only use it occasionally for cash withrdrawls at my bank. Otherwise I charge nearly everything. It's paid off each month and I get some nice reward perks from my CC company as a result. Win-Win!!!

Honored Contributor

Can anyone explain why they would ever hold and use a Q card? I was going to get one once to buy an expensive memory foam bed, but when I heard the 20+% interest rate I thought they'd lost their minds. I thought I would be able to make the easy payments and accrue no interest, but when I heard the high interest rate, I couldn't take the chance that I might not get a full easy pay completed and incur that high rate.

I do remember a long time ago I thought they had certain sales or days where you got something special if you used your Q card, like maybe free shipping or something, but haven't heard of anything like that in a long time.

So what is the advantage that I'm missing with this Q card?

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2014 mominohio said:

Can anyone explain why they would ever hold and use a Q card? I was going to get one once to buy an expensive memory foam bed, but when I heard the 20+% interest rate I thought they'd lost their minds. I thought I would be able to make the easy payments and accrue no interest, but when I heard the high interest rate, I couldn't take the chance that I might not get a full easy pay completed and incur that high rate.

I do remember a long time ago I thought they had certain sales or days where you got something special if you used your Q card, like maybe free shipping or something, but haven't heard of anything like that in a long time.

Hi! I only have a Q Card because many many years ago, back when I spent a lot more here, they just sent it to me at one point. I never even applied or gave them my ss# or anything.

Anyway, for me, the benefit became keeping track of how much I was spending here. I don't think they do any promos for using their card. But it's good to just keep all the purchases in one place.

Obviously, one would not want to pay the high rate of interest. So whatever I spend, I pay that entire amount each month. I do the same thing with my Amazon purchases (which are a LOT more) - I have an Amazon Rewards card and I charge everything on that. I get points for every purchase (3 for 1 with Amazon purchases), so I not only get a little back each month, that I can either put on the bill or toward another purchase, but I pay it off each month and know how much I'm spending at that one place.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 3/26/2014 mominohio said:

Hi! I only have a Q Card because many many years ago, back when I spent a lot more here, they just sent it to me at one point. I never even applied or gave them my ss# or anything.

Anyway, for me, the benefit became keeping track of how much I was spending here. I don't think they do any promos for using their card. But it's good to just keep all the purchases in one place.

Obviously, one would not want to pay the high rate of interest. So whatever I spend, I pay that entire amount each month. I do the same thing with my Amazon purchases (which are a LOT more) - I have an Amazon Rewards card and I charge everything on that. I get points for every purchase (3 for 1 with Amazon purchases), so I not only get a little back each month, that I can either put on the bill or toward another purchase, but I pay it off each month and know how much I'm spending at that one place.

It does make sense for someone to control their Q habit by having a separate bill that they pay in full each month, and is a reality check for just how much you are really spending in that one place.

When you put everything you do on one card, like a Visa, you can be fooled by just where you are spending your money, if you don't really scrutinize your bill closely.

Thanks for answering!