Valued Contributor

Nothing bothers me  Well Im bothered  Maybe Im getting just too involved with my constant watching  I need a life  I used to say I dont have a problem  Well I have a problem  Not really a buying problem although I buy way too much  I pay at the end of each month  I am so annoyed with these fake prices the hosts are quoting  This morning Jane said that the face cloths ^ of them are usually over 123 dollars  6 cloths  Really  Do they think  Whe is stupid enough to believe this  The 5 insulated bag set Carolyn kept saying  were normally 28 dollars each on their website  I checked everywhere they are not online and there is not website  I have these bags and they are not worth 10 dollars   Im not going to go on but I could  Where is this new strategy coming from  because it is embarrassing

Honored Contributor

When I do watch QVC, which is seldom, I take everything the hosts say with a large grain of salt especially when they talk about comparable prices.  I turned it off the other day when the product on air was something like $49 and the host was saying it would be $125 or some other ridiculous amount elsewhere.  I don't think so.

Valued Contributor

I agree. They quote outrageous prices that most of us know it's not true

Honored Contributor

When I hear them quote ridiculous prices elsewhere, I think where?

Well, perhaps if we shop on 5th AV in NYC or Rodeo Dr in Los Angeles, maybe that is where they are thinking of. And with their salaries, maybe that is the kind of places where they go. Many of the hosts never wear the QVC "fashions" they are selling while they are live selling them!

They talk about if we went to some of those "boutiques" there would be a one in front of the QVC price.🙄

Well, I know I don't shop at those places, and doubt I would even if I did have the money to.

I compare prices I can find in Walmart, or TJ Maxx, or Marshalls and find designer stuff or whatever. And like others here, I don't need to do that often.

I do think they market to people who do not always go to these stores, but even online

there are great deals at Macys, Nordstrom etc. etc.

And many people who watch do have what I call disposable income where it doesn't matter the price. But I suspect that is not the majority.

At any rate, I do think they have priced many (including me) out of their marketing plan and their pricing strategies.

I guess trying to see what "the market will bear."

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie   Were those the Campanelli face cloths with the little bag?  I bought these for last Christmas and tried one.  Some are so small.  I didn't see what they did that my washcloth doesn't do.  I returned them so didn't give any as gifts as I had planned.  I think they gave that same spiel about costing over $123.   I didn't think they were worth what I paid.  (I know they seem to be very popular on QVC.)        

Honored Contributor

Another thing that gets me is when they say an item at retail would be $80. more, $100 more, etc.  They do this with many QVC brands like Cooks Essentials and other brands that are not sold elsewhere.           

Respected Contributor

Re: made up prices

[ Edited ]

I think they are careful when listing a comparable retail price

Edited: posting from my Fire tablet is miserable for me. The tablet takes over and does what it pleases! I had more to say (ha)--see post below.

Respected Contributor

Re: made up prices

[ Edited ]

The show hosts are SALESMEN, nothing more and nothing less.  That's what SALESMEN do.  In fact, they used to have a prerecorded schpiel about pricing.  Maybe they still have it.

Don't like what you're hearing and seeing.  Vote with your remote.

Respected Contributor

I think they are careful when listing a comparable retail price, but the off-the-cuff chatter, like "put a 1 in front of our price" is exaggerated to sell. Not that I haven't seen ridiculous pricing for brand names, but they seldom look like a D&Co top with a funky hem. Some of this nonsense comes with the long time spent on each item. If they shortened the presentation time and added a few more products or cut out the silliness, the hosts wouldn't have to come up with nonsence chatter to fill the air time.

Esteemed Contributor

I always take what they say with a huge grain of salt. I will say that when it comes to fashion if they are comparing prices to boutiques then they are not exaggerating. I normally shop at places like Ross, Marshalls, Kohls and similar stores. These tend to be  more in line with my budget. I do go shopping with the girls from time to time and when you hit the boutiques those outrageous prices are normally what you see.