Trusted Contributor

Re: kudos for Steve Doss

[ Edited ]

@loriqvc wrote:

Typically, I'm not a fan of Steve Doss—his hijinks with David on Wednesday nights are often uncomfortable to watch and he is very overdramatic about any item that is anywhere near him; I had only seen him host a show on his own once about a month ago where he just seemed to want to make all the presentations cutesy and have big fake laughs without providing key product details.

So when I tuned in for a two-hour American West show late Saturday night and saw that Steve would be the host, I groaned and steeled myself for what was to come. Well, I almost had to pick my jaw up off the floor as I enjoyed his excellent work! He had clearly researched all the items in the show and really focused on describing details, was excited without being overdramatic (though if he said "moment" one more time he might have hit triple digits), managed to make it seem fairly natural for him to try on many of the pieces, interacted very well with Carolyn and Suzanne, and just generally made the show a great experience from beginning to end. He even came up with a clever option for using a safety pin on his shirt to show how an enhancer could be worn as a pin—something Carolyn loved and I did, too.

There are often a lot of negative posts about hosts, and I've even joined in on such a previous post about Steve, so I wanted to take the chance to share something positive about his nice work. I hope he continues to improve, hone his strengths, and find the right niche for himself at the Q. I can see a lot more potential in him now, and that was a very pleasant discovery. Kudos to Steve!

i cringed when he tried on the jewelry. carolyn talked how about how feminine her jewelry is, and then i watch steve try on everything. it did her jewelry no justice. its the same when i watch Alberti put on the make-up. Really? I'll buy talking about it, not wearing it, at least not every piece.

Contributor

I saw this show and I thought Steve Doss did a very good job. He was enthusiastic and knowledgeable, he actually knew how to pronounce the gemstones! I have seen so many jewelry shows where the hosts stumble over the gemstone names or can't pronounce a word like 'chatoyancy'.  I like it when men wear jewelry, so that didn't bother me. I think the leather pieces in particular were unisex.  Kudos, indeed!

Esteemed Contributor

I just hope Steve doesn't turn into another Alberti.......loud, obnoxious, silly, fake..........

Trusted Contributor

I happen to like Steve Doss and Alberti.

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen Steve much but what I have seen of him I like...he seems totally real to me. 

Honored Contributor

I like his presentations and hope he doesn't change.

Honored Contributor

I think Steve is fantastic, and does a great job hosting his own shows.

I think David calling him Big Bite Steve is a way to keep him as an "underling" host.  Steve has been doing a lot of food shows on QVC2, and visited the Rastelli company with Jayne last week.  He is definitely gaining his chops as a food/kitchen host.  It looks like a diva star trying to laughingly keep the bright star at bay.  

David once again today explained that whole story of why he calls Steve Big Bite Steve.  When he first called him that on air, David asked Steve if that was OK and Steve said, Yes.  

Well, duh, of course Steve said yes.  David had already said the embarrassing name on air, and got such a kick out of it for the camera  What else would a team-player new host say to David?  Uh, no, I don't like the nickname you just blurted out on national TV????? 

It should have been a one & done.  But David insists on making it stick.  It's ridiculous.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper - I also find that nickname to be condescending; perhaps it was amusing in the beginning and maaaybe would be okay if it were used more sparingly, but as it is, it's really just rude and further emphasizes David's weirdness around food in general now that he's "on his journey." Lately, David has also started commenting more on Steve's size, weight, and fitness—I think he is trying to be flattering, but it's really not appropriate for discussion or joking around on television and adds to the overall uncomfortability of watching the two cohost the shows.

On a related note, I constantly shake my head about David never pronouncing Rosina's name correctly, so I actually took the time to send him a message about it today. We'll see if anything changes...

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc 

I like Steve.  I think he has been poorly used and had great potential as a host.

I do wish the PTB would quit using him as a sidekick, especially for David, and view him as an informed and prepared host without the silliness that some of the newbies resort to.

Frequent Contributor

Whatever David V. wants, he gets!