Esteemed Contributor

Re: how to use @

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Thanks to all for replies. I guess to respond with the@ key one has to go to each page and repond no matter how many pages are contained . 

@okaywitheasypay - You only need to be on a specific page if you want to include a quote of the post you're replying to because that requires clicking the REPLY button within a specific post.

If you simply want to add a general reply to the thread and include a "call out" to someone else posting in the thread, you just click the REPLY button at the top of any page in the thread and press Shift+2 to get the "@" symbol. This action generates a dialog box with poster names in it, and you can click the name of the desired poster to add it to your post.

Trusted Contributor

@okaywitheasypay

thanks for asking the question...I never knew how to that either....learned something new!

Honored Contributor

One thing that some might not have noticed, since this new board, is that if you quote somebody else, it automatically adds the @ to their ID in the quote, so there isn't a need to do it again.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

One thing that some might not have noticed, since this new board, is that if you quote somebody else, it automatically adds the @ to their ID in the quote, so there isn't a need to do it again.   

Greetings, chickie!😊    Quoting another poster does copy and display their "@name" but it doesn't automagically generate a notification.   

We have to add the "@name" in our post to trigger an alert for them.

Great advice from everyone here!❤️  That's the best part of this community (in the truest sense of the word) -- people are so helpful and supportive when questions or needs arise.     

I would add...  the nicknames with spaces don't play well with this website software.   Some nicknames have a space before the first letter, some have spaces within the name, and they can be tricky.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Greetings, chickie!😊    Quoting another poster does copy and display their "@name" but it doesn't automagically generate a notification.   

We have to add the "@name" in our post to trigger an alert for them.

Great advice from everyone here!❤️  That's the best part of this community (in the truest sense of the word) -- people are so helpful and supportive when questions or needs arise.     

I would add...  the nicknames with spaces don't play well with this website software.   Some nicknames have a space before the first letter, some have spaces within the name, and they can be tricky.

Hey dooB!  Nice seein' ya, as always.  Smiley Happy

That is odd, isn't it?  You know me - I don't do the notifications or any of that, so I just assumed that, since the '@' was there, it was automatically punching out a call to that poster.     I have to wonder, then, why the system adds that in there if it doesn't do anything.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey dooB!  Nice seein' ya, as always.  Smiley Happy

That is odd, isn't it?  You know me - I don't do the notifications or any of that, so I just assumed that, since the '@' was there, it was automatically punching out a call to that poster.     I have to wonder, then, why the system adds that in there if it doesn't do anything.    

Thanks!   Always good to see you, too!❤️

I remembered that you don't use hearts or notifications, and although I like them I also can understand avoiding the clatter and clutter.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about the question in your last sentence... 😉     

The software originally displayed our nickname at the top of the quoted text as plain text with no "@" sign.   

Then the site was "updated" and they converted the quoted name to a hyperlink with an "@" -- and guess what?   

It started doing what you said!   

Every time we quoted someone, they got a notification.   

Also, if it involved the quotes-within-quotes, all the posters involved would get a flag.   

The problem with that?    

We don't always want or need to generate an alert for quoted posters.   

Added to that problem, the software was wildly glitchy (are we surprised?) and every time we edited an existing post everyone involved in the quotes got another notification.   

It was a mess.   Lots of complaints ensued.   It wasn't a pretty sight! 

So...  the IT support staff made a quick-and-dirty edit and suddenly the quotes did not include any poster names at all.   

That was confusing, since we couldn't tell who had been quoted.   

Eventually, the "@name" was added back in but not as an active alert and that's what we have now.   

The saga of the quoted nicknames provides a revealing snapshot of the sketchy software we're using and the bizarre lack of professional website design, management, and tech support.   

Hence, here we are today waiting for 2 minutes more or less while we try to pull up our profile, add an image, or post a comment.   (sigh)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@sunshine45 I'm experimenting by typing in your nn

as opposed to shift key then the name that pops up automatically on the page. I am curious when done this way does it show in your notifications?

@okaywitheasypay

yes, this showed up on my notifications.

TY.  I didn't know if typing it in (if I can remember correct nn Smiley Happy )  would actually notify the person -- now I do ! 

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

@okaywitheasypay

thanks for asking the question...I never knew how to that either....learned something new!

I have always been told  if you don't ask you probably will not get an answer ! I have also learned a lot on these boards of helpful posters.Heart 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

as opposed to shift key then the name that pops up automatically on the page. I am curious when done this way does it show in your notifications?

@okaywitheasypay

yes, this showed up on my notifications.

TY.  I didn't know if typing it in (if I can remember correct nn Smiley Happy )  would actually notify the person -- now I do ! 

@okaywitheasypay,  You also can test to see if your notification worked.😊   

Just click/tap on the "@name" itself after you post it -- if it worked, it created an actual hyperlink which you can click/tap and be redirected to that person's profile.    If it didn't work, it posts as plain text and it's not "clickable."   (Hope that makes sense.)

Trusted Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Test