Contributor

glasses as fashion accessory?

Why do people consider glasses a fashion accessory? Are walkers a fashion accessory, what about hearing aids ? having worn glasses for need since I was 8 years old I find this kind of insulting !
Super Contributor

Re: glasses as fashion accessory?

I don't find it insulting at all, and I have worn glasses (contact too) since I was very young. Glasses can be a fashion accessory. Which reminds me, I have to get a new pair-I own a few pairs so I can wear them like accessories also!

Respected Contributor

Worn them (not full-time at first) since I was 6 and it's an accessory I would love to forego! If it's so hot, how come makeovers since forever involve pitching the glasses as the first step?

Honored Contributor

The prescription eyeglass industry has one of the highest markups of any consumer product. By marketing them as "fashion accessories," they're attempting to brainwash us into getting a pair to match every mood and outfit. You have to be rich to do that, and I'm not falling for it!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I've been wearing glass since I was a freshman in high school. I wear the same pair as long as possible. Only get a new pair when the prescription changes. The only time mine were "fashionable" to me, was the few years when I wore contacts and didn't need my glasses!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

These days there are all shapes, colors, and price ranges of frames, it's wonderful. I only wear glasses in the early morning or at night after I remove my contacts but I think my glasses are very sharp on me. I think the frame you wear does more or less for your face than any make up will. It is obvious that many people have worn the same pair for years or decades, and they can look very dated. If you wear glasses every day it is important to choose your frames carefully to look your best.

Honored Contributor

I see your point.

Contributor

Mine are cool looking also...today they were selling them not for the need for the fashion ...host kept saying get them for fashion not use Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

IMHO OP is way too sensitive to let others have fun with glasses as accessory . Silly.
Trusted Contributor

Of course they are a fashion accessory! Why would anyone who has to wear glasses want to wear something that is not fashionable if given the choice? They are so expensive by the time you add the lenses, you're going to make sure you love your choice. Many people own several pairs - I can't afford that! Now if your talking about someone who doesn't need glasses wearing them as a fashion accessory, then I agree, that's crazy. I wear contacts, and take them out when I get home and put on my glasses. I can't imagine choosing to wear glasses if it wasn't necessary.