Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie "@lg fan .............yes a lie sure can be fabricated.  So just about anything can be fabricated."

Fabrication is a synonym for the word lie.    This is per the definition in the dictionary. 

Honored Contributor

Re: fabrication: definition

[ Edited ]

As others have said on this thread and also the other past threads on this topic, it's a term the fashion industry adopted years ago.   

Many words and phrases adopted or created by various industries often are not found in conventional dictionaries, so it's not unusual that this one isn't.

I don't think it's fair to place blame on the hosts since QVC and some of the vendors/designers use the word.

I looked on an older thread (Oct 2018) on this topic (because I remembered posting about this before), and at that time I shared that I had found several instances

on Louis Dell'Olio's blog

and Bob Mackie's Facebook account

using this term the same way the hosts do.

A quick internet search for "fabrication QVC" shows countless product listings,

pages and pages of them,

using the term.

I chose 3 of those products at random as examples:

A460026
Koolaburra by UGG Sandwashed Interlock Crew Neck Top
Fabrication: knit
Features: crew neckline, left chest pocket, sand-washed finish, interlock fabrication, long sleeves

A473491
Denim & Co. Tencel Blouse
Fabrication: TencelTM

A382704
Side Stitch Jogger Pants with Ribbing Detail
Fabrication: woven

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I think they use fabrication instead of fabric because those extra 2 syllables stretch the time and, of course, their jobs are all about filling the time with words.  Smiley Happy   I do wish they would use fabric instead but they seem very locked in on that word now.

Honored Contributor

Re: fabrication: definition

[ Edited ]
My whole like I've pretty much used the word "material" to describe fabric.  I would go to a fabric store to buy some material to make a dress.  I dont hear that word often used either.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

It seems to me that, from what you all have stated, that the word fabrication is used correctly when it refers to more than one fabric put together, for example, cotton/spandex or poly/rayon.  And incorrectly used when referring to 100% cotton or 100% any fabric. Not that it really matters LOL.

I agree that it just does not matter.

So while I was waiting one hour for my dr appointment, I found these words that are not dictionary words at all even though we hear them frequently;

Conversate

Irregardless

Supposably

Alot

Complected

Firstly

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they think they sound smart and sophisticated by using "fabrication" instead of plain old "fabric".  But they don't. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I've never understood why Q viewers get so upset over the word "fabrication."  It is a word that has been used in "the business" forever.  People here are obsessed with this word!!!

Valued Contributor

I grew up in the Boston textile business.  My Dad was a bespoke (custom) tailor of mens suits.  He like Guiliana Rancic's dad came from Italy with his talent.  I have NEVER heard him say the word "fabrication"...and that is NO fabrication !!  The word is fabric  QVC hosts.  Your audience is far more knowledgeable than you are !!  Someone PLEASE tell them !!

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo   Sorry to hear that you are not well.I will pray for your renewed  health and your life to return to normal.You are missed.

Respected Contributor
Fabrication is the process of MAking the cloth. Fabric is the cloth itself. I agree. The hosts sound stupid when they use the words incorrectly.