Esteemed Contributor

Re: cancellations letter from QVC

There are just too many other places to shop for me to be intimidated by such a warning letter ... seems to me the Q is biting the hand that feeds it.

Honored Contributor

Just throwing out this thought...if some people knew they could cancel orders by a percentage, they might or might not cancel more items.

Or what happens if say you cancel 10 items in November-December for Holiday shopping, then actually buy 50 items for the year with no cancellations?

To figure out what percentage of cancellations that are considered okay, what month would be the starting point and what month would be the ending date to calculate?

Should it be figured out by the month, quarterly, Calendar year or fiscal year?

Some people only buy seasonally...like maybe at Christmas time, or plants in the spring. 

I think it would he be way too difficult to give customers a magic number or percentage. I am guessing that if there is a pattern of canceling that goes on and on for a long time, you will get a letter.  QVC as well as other business stop privileges for shoppers if they cost the business money.

Even when you return items to a B&M store, they want your personal info.  They keep track of this and if you do too many returns, they will suspend your return privileges.  They even share this info with other retailers.

There was an article in our local paper about this.  Some people buy clothing, wear it once and return it..they do this with dress shoes as well.  This costs everyone money in the long run.

I am not saying QVC forum posters do this,  but we all know some people do.  Need a nice pair of mother of the bride earrings?  Order them from QVC for $1000.  Wear them to the wedding then return them the next day.  Your cost? Shipping and handling fees.  What a deal!

Honored Contributor

The company has every right to rein in excessive cancelations (and returns), regardless of one's circumstances.

And the customer has every right to stop shopping with a retailer if they object.

I also think that people abuse the ability to pay by check and thus cancel at a later date (I believe they're given 15 days before QVC cancels the order).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

If they don't want cancellations, they should omit the cancel button!  Problem solved. Where else do you see a button to press that does not result in what the button is offering you?  Like if you clicked "check out" and it just said, "sorry dude, we're not checking you out"??  They system is at this point designed to annoy the user.

I know of no other webistes aside from QVC, HSN and Amazon that allow this anyhow, so when people see it, they are enticed to use it.  We've all had a reason to want to cancel an online order, at some time in life. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Just throwing out this thought...if some people knew they could cancel orders by a percentage, they might or might not cancel more items.

Or what happens if say you cancel 10 items in November-December for Holiday shopping, then actually buy 50 items for the year with no cancellations?

To figure out what percentage of cancellations that are considered okay, what month would be the starting point and what month would be the ending date to calculate?

Should it be figured out by the month, quarterly, Calendar year or fiscal year?

Some people only buy seasonally...like maybe at Christmas time, or plants in the spring. 

I think it would he be way too difficult to give customers a magic number or percentage. I am guessing that if there is a pattern of canceling that goes on and on for a long time, you will get a letter.  QVC as well as other business stop privileges for shoppers if they cost the business money.

Even when you return items to a B&M store, they want your personal info.  They keep track of this and if you do too many returns, they will suspend your return privileges.  They even share this info with other retailers.

There was an article in our local paper about this.  Some people buy clothing, wear it once and return it..they do this with dress shoes as well.  This costs everyone money in the long run.

I am not saying QVC forum posters do this,  but we all know some people do.  Need a nice pair of mother of the bride earrings?  Order them from QVC for $1000.  Wear them to the wedding then return them the next day.  Your cost? Shipping and handling fees.  What a deal!

When you think about it @Carmie  QVC promotes just that type of action/response from those customers an you may have just given the best answer to the OP's question...Their policy is to . Purchase...try for 30 days and return if you don't like it. I know a lot of people who would abuse that practice for days LOL!  

I am still boggled as to why they are concerned with cancellations unless like a previous posters have suggested it's all about those non-refundable shipping and handling fees!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still a little confused. The OP got a letter for cancellations or for items purchased and returned? Seems to me there would be a definite difference between the two.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

I'm still a little confused. The OP got a letter for cancellations or for items purchased and returned? Seems to me there would be a definite difference between the two.

@riley1 the OP got a letter re too many cancellations, not for returns.

Contributor

No way!  I have canceled auto delivery orders as I don't always use up the product(s) to warrant another delivery.

Trusted Contributor

We haven't heard from OP yet.  My question OP is how many cancellations did they actually have and in what time period?  Maybe if we actually knew that number some of you would be changing your tune.

Cancellations can occur from more than just placing and order than cancelling right away.  Could also happen if an order placed couldn't be billed to the method of payment specified for some reason.

Honored Contributor

I got a letter stating that I was returning too many things. This was years ago and I say now like I said then——bite ***me ! I don’t ’ waste my time or $$ here anymore. I go elsewhere to buy pretty much the same things and pay less and usually free and faster shipping. Rip that letter up and toss !