Respected Contributor

Today we received a text from QVC on one of our cell phones .

I have never given QVC any of our cell numbers.

I called customer service and the person said that none of our cell numbers are connected to our account.

I find this very disturbing. Has any one else had this happen?

Super Contributor

It could have been someone spoofing. In other words, it could have been someone pretending to be QVC in order to gain your financial info, had you responded to the text, and therefore, steal your identity, and commit fraud.

Respected Contributor

Plaid, that is a bit unnerving. mr henny was the one who saw the text. he said it went right to the Qvc site. He didn't respond.

Super Contributor
On 1/16/2015 hennypenny said:

Plaid, that is a bit unnerving. mr henny was the one who saw the text. he said it went right to the Qvc site. He didn't respond.

The bad guys are good at creating fake websites that look real, but in reality, aren't. When one clicks on the site, it can install malware, or other bad things that you don't want on your computer.

Trusted Contributor
If your Husband didn't respond, how did he know it went directly to QVC'S website? It is weird! If you've never used your cell phones, for QVC or given them as a contact number, I don't see how they could have the Numbers?
Respected Contributor
I got a weird text the other week pretending to be from my bank and it was saying they turned off my debit card due to suspicious activity and I'd have to contact them to reactivate it. I knew it was phishing because it didn't identify my financial institution which is local and they don't have my cellphone number. Everyone has to be on their toes and believe nothing they get in email or text.
Honored Contributor

The bank that has one of my credit cards had tried to contact me on my home phone to verify a purchase.......while I was at the store I got a text on my cell phone that I had NEVER given them asking for verification on the purchase. I did not respond to the text and called the number on the back of the card to confirm it really was the bank that called and it was the indeed the bank and I confirmed my purchase. There are all kinds of ways legit companies or fraudulent ones can find you on the internet these days and locate your cell phone number, address etc....it is a bit unnerving and a bit scary...glad you were suspicious...CONSUMER BEWARE applies more than ever these days...

Anywho, people finders, public information sites etc etc.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

No this has never happened to me. Sounds creepy and disturbing.