Valued Contributor

I lost my directions  After the flowershave died how do I bring this back again   I know you can and would love to

Respected Contributor
Valued Contributor

What always threw me off was "store in a cool dry place"   - I live in NC almost to the SC border.  How cool should the cool place be......the article doesn't mention that.  We don't have a cellar/basement. Can I just put it in an indoor closet? 

Honored Contributor

You might try posting this in the garden forum.  The gardeners hang out there and they are very knowledgeable.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@CinNC............I too live in NC close to SC border.  I live near Rutherfordton NC.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC, I think a closet is fine (has to be anyway!).  Darkness is probably the most important factor.

I don't always have success with the whole amaryllis process, but I'd point out, too, putting it outdoors in the summer, along with regular fertilization, repotting/top-dressing with fresh soil when you do so, helps.  It'll grow leaves.  Then back to the closet to allow the leaves to die back (another dormancy) before you bring it back out for (hopefully) a flowering period.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Here are directions I have: after flowering cut off flower stalks and grow as green houseplant. Water and fertilize regularly, grow inside or partly shaded area outside. End of summer withold water to force plant to go dormant.  Store in cool location 4-6 weeks, after resting period repot and soon it will begin to grow and re-flower.  Hope this helps.