Esteemed Contributor

a tale of two orders

[ Edited ]

I placed an order on the 10th, it shipped on the 11th (woohoo!) with an estimated delivery date (EDD) of the 16th.  Today, the 21st, it's still at least two stops away from me, languishing in the same post office since the 16th.

I placed an order on the 16th, it shipped on the 18th with an EDD of the 23d.  It's out for delivery by UPS and I should have it today.  Yay!!!

I know the USPS is probably slower than UPS, although I have gotten some orders thru Sure Post sooner than the EDD.  But when something stays in the same place for more than a couple of days, there's some kind of problem.

*SIGH*   Maybe the first order will show up tomorrow, now that I've posted about it.

Oooh!  Here's UPS!!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Our orders frequently stay in the same place for several days because UPS doesn't move an inch on week-ends.  They'll land some place Friday and that is where they'll stay.  It seems on Mondays, the regular UPS packages have priority so I almost never get a package, even though it's in my town, until Tuesday.  I've got one now that's been here since last Thursday but there's still no move to deliver it.

I've also noticed that UPS will hold packages until several have accumulated (they know what's coming), then they'll deliver them all at once instead of turning them over to the post office.  I'm sure they get paid more if they deliver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 Maybe. But that doesn’t apply here. My package has been in a POST OFFICE since the 16th. Not my post office. A post office in another state.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda.  I'd ask the mods to check on it.

Respected Contributor
Never thought about UPS making more money when they deliver versus transferring to USPS. Makes since I guess.

Did not think UPS would deliver today since it's a Holiday.
Regular Contributor

Re: a tale of two orders

[ Edited ]

My son-in-law worked for the post office for a year before moving on to something better. He told me that USPS can legally withold a delivery for 10 days if they want to. So many part-timers now, that when their shift is over, they go home no matter what is on their truck. My neighbor is retired from the post office and verifiied both facts. And then they raise the price of a stamp again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@esmerelda.  I'd ask the mods to check on it.

@Kachina624I might do that, but I think I'll wait a few more days.  It's a garden decor item, so it isn't like I'm going to use it right away.

The mods were very helpful with a similar situation with an earlier order.  They had a second one sent out, and of course both showed up a day apart.  Then open the second, fill out the return form, verify with CS the situation, put it in the mail.  No big deal, but a deal I shouldn't even be bothered with.

So I'll wait a few more days...maybe a week.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Never thought about UPS making more money when they deliver versus transferring to USPS. Makes since I guess.

Did not think UPS would deliver today since it's a Holiday.

@KindaglitzyI know.  I was surprised when I checked tracking and saw that it was out for delivery on a holiday.  I guess they don't observe the lesser holidays, e.g., yesterday, Columbus Day, maybe Veteran's Day.  The last one...some drivers may be vets, so I do hope they are off on that one.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Our orders frequently stay in the same place for several days because UPS doesn't move an inch on week-ends.  They'll land some place Friday and that is where they'll stay.  It seems on Mondays, the regular UPS packages have priority so I almost never get a package, even though it's in my town, until Tuesday.  I've got one now that's been here since last Thursday but there's still no move to deliver it.

I've also noticed that UPS will hold packages until several have accumulated (they know what's coming), then they'll deliver them all at once instead of turning them over to the post office.  I'm sure they get paid more if they deliver.

@Kachina624

UPS does work on saturdays.....pickups, deliveries, sorting, etc....

we get saturday deliveries all the time. it has been this way for over a year now.

it may depend on where you live though.

we did get ups delivery yesterday (MLK day).

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45.   UPS in my area doesn't work week-end and it appears people in the huge distribution centers also don't work week-ends as nothing arrives or departs.  The cross-country trucking does seem to be active on week-ends

I had a strange thing happen yesterday.  Post office was closed  for MLK holiday, right?  I had two parcels, padded envelopes, from Amazon delivered to my mailbox.  They'd been shipped ny USPS.  I can figure out how or why they got delivered.