Valued Contributor

Young Producers, older hosts....

So every now and then someone mentions about how can the producers allow this and that to occur on air.  Never seeming to check the host.  Well, have you ever seen the producers?  Most of em are young, very young, and the host are old-timers, not in the sense of age but experience.  I remember once watching a show with Shawn (and I try very hard not to, believe me) apparently the producer said something in her ear and she said out of the blue, something along the lines of, "this is not my first time at the rodeo, been doing this for years".  Indicating that she knew more than the producer.  Or whoever talked to her in her ear.

I've seen these producers and they look like sweethearts, young, around my age (late twenties) but they could be in their thirties.  You can imagine how they have to deal with the diva personalities of some of the hosts, especially the ones who have been around for years.  So I think producers for this type of venue are useless or at least have to be seasoned themselves and have strong personalities as the hosts because the seasoned ones think they know more and ignore them.  And I guess in the sense of being around for years, they are right.  But I think this is why we get what we get on air. 

HSN is better at producing a tighter show, with less craziness, and more professionalism.  IMO.   

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Regular Contributor

Re: Young Producers, older hosts....

@Northray wrote:

So every now and then someone mentions about how can the producers allow this and that to occur on air.  Never seeming to check the host.  Well, have you ever seen the producers?  Most of em are young, very young, and the host are old-timers, not in the sense of age but experience.  I remember once watching a show with Shawn (and I try very hard not to, believe me) apparently the producer said something in her ear and she said out of the blue, something along the lines of, "this is not my first time at the rodeo, been doing this for years".  Indicating that she knew more than the producer.  Or whoever talked to her in her ear.

I've seen these producers and they look like sweethearts, young, around my age (late twenties) but they could be in their thirties.  You can imagine how they have to deal with the diva personalities of some of the hosts, especially the ones who hlllllllllllave been around for years.  So I think producers for this type of venue are useless or at least have to be seasoned themselves and have strong personalities as the hosts because the seasoned ones think they know more and ignore them.  And I guess in the sense of being around for years, they are right.  But I think this is why we get what we get on air. 

HSN is better at producing a tighter show, with less craziness, and more professionalism.  IMO.   

Well said and you are so right about HSN.

Esteemed Contributor

Good points.

Respected Contributor

@Northray 

That is an interesting theory and your probably right.  Seasoned hosts probably

run the show more than the producers if they are young and new.  But, they should respect them just the same.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Northray wrote:

I've seen these producers and they look like sweethearts, young, around my age (late twenties) but they could be in their thirties.  You can imagine how they have to deal with the diva personalities of some of the hosts, especially the ones who have been around for years.  So I think producers for this type of venue are useless or at least have to be seasoned themselves and have strong personalities as the hosts because the seasoned ones think they know more and ignore them.  And I guess in the sense of being around for years, they are right.  But I think this is why we get what we get on air. 

HSN is better at producing a tighter show, with less craziness, and more professionalism 

@Northray 

WOW....she should never have said that on air!!!! She should have waited until after the show to make her point....And afterall we can learn from anyone no matter what their age or experience...they see things with fresh "new eyes" and that could help improve things and make things better....Think of all the inventions and technology that we would never had if we had just stuck to doing things "the old way"....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Northray    That's exactly what these things are -  our opinions.    You and I have radically different opinions.  Doesn't make either one of us right.  In reality, most likely means we're both right for ourselves and wrong for the other person.

Here's how I deal with the difference.   I much prefer the products and presentations at QVC so that's where I spend my money. 

This is an easy one -  involves discretionary shopping, not necessities, most likely rarely involves a major part of anyone's income and which choice we make doesn't involve politics.

Honored Contributor

Most of em are young, very young, and the host are old-timers, not in the sense of age but experience.

"this is not my first time at the rodeo, been doing this for years".

I have been in Shawn's shoes and that is similar to what I have said to those telling me what to do when I know a lot more than they do.  Some of them actually think they knew more.  

I need to ask why QVC doesn't have some  seasoned producers.  Could that be why their programming is so boring?  Why hosts wear pajamas so often and behave like 7th graders?

I must also mention getting rid of seasoned older buyers...Rick says they are all very young.  I, again, must ask.  Is that the reason for their boring same old offerings?

There's no creativity, obvious hands on experience that is gained over the years.  Knowledge that could never be acquired in college. 

At that age, I was told I needed experience before given much responsiblity.  I wouldn't have liked telling older employees how to do their jobs when they knew much more than me.  

Honored Contributor

Who exactly are these new young producers? Where can I find them on the QVC website? I have never seen them on tv as I don't watch QVC very much. I'd like to see some information about them and their qualifications. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Most of em are young, very young, and the host are old-timers, not in the sense of age but experience.

"this is not my first time at the rodeo, been doing this for years".

I have been in Shawn's shoes and that is similar to what I have said to those telling me what to do when I know a lot more than they do.  Some of them actually think they knew more.  

I need to ask why QVC doesn't have some  seasoned producers.  Could that be why their programming is so boring?  Why hosts wear pajamas so often and behave like 7th graders?

I must also mention getting rid of seasoned older buyers...Rick says they are all very young.  I, again, must ask.  Is that the reason for their boring same old offerings?

There's no creativity, obvious hands on experience that is gained over the years.  Knowledge that could never be acquired in college. 

At that age, I was told I needed experience before given much responsiblity.  I wouldn't have liked telling older employees how to do their jobs when they knew much more than me.  

@Foxxee 

I agree with much with what you say.....

You could see the difference when the Buyer's themselves started appearing in some of the promos........I think they are trying to lure a certain demographic and they think having Buyers in the same age group would help in having that age group tune in....

But like you said, it appears all they are doing is re-ordering the the same stuff year after year----or allowing the vendors in the same category to all bring in the same products and styles leading to endless repitition....

Personally, I think an organization runs best by listening to and combining both current and new ideas (kind of looking at things from a fresh new perspective) ..otherwise things get in a rut and stale and I think that adqueately describes QVC---JMHO

I bet everyone cant wait to see on this year's CIJ the Flash Pad, Magnetic Blocks, wood pieces that you balance, lanterns, Mr. Christmas ceramic trees in various sizes, and all the winter clothes that look alike regardless of the vendor ....😣

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Who exactly are these new young producers? Where can I find them on the QVC website? I have never seen them on tv as I don't watch QVC very much. I'd like to see some information about them and their qualifications. Thanks.

I don't know any personally.  My observations and they are just my observations and theories, come from a QVC tour I took and the hosts from time to time bringing them on air.  I just always thought they would be in the same age range as the hosts but from what I saw they are not.  And I got to thinking about how hard it must be for a young producer to try and reign in someone like JT or Shawn or even David who all have big personalities and egos.     

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi