Honored Contributor

Xmas Same Old-Same Old - it does have some value

Just a thought with the airing of the same old ordinary, any-time-of-year products during the holiday programming. I too get tired of the same-old airings, BUT - randomly, last night and this morning, I saw two presentations, one on QVC and one on HSN, for items that I had considered buying as possible Christmas gifts months before. I bought both items because both were good prices for what was included, both were on low easy pay (Christmas gifting is difficult to fit into my budget), and the QVC item was (shock!) free shipping. I can't be the only person to have purchased items they may have viewed half a dozen times during the year for similar reasons. So, I can see why they do it, even if it bores me most of the time too.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Xmas Same Old-Same Old - it does have some value

They can show the same products day after day after day, year after year. It's like Groundhog Day or reading the same book over and over for 10 years. It's boring. If they want me to watch, they need to add jazz up their programming.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I generally agree. Same few products and presentations that are way too long, as well as TSVs shown 12 hours out of 24, all need to go. I was just pointing out that I can see why they do some of it. What I saw in June and pondered as a gift but didn't buy, I did buy now that it's holiday shopping season. I might not be a "shop for Xmas all year" person, but I do start in the Fall. And others do the same. I still think the programming is as boring as most people do, but it can sometimes work out.
Honored Contributor

We all will occasionally see something with a new eye and suddenly something we might have passed by a dozen times seems interesting, but I think what so many of us are fully fed up with is this policy of presenting the same things repeatedly for years to the near exclusion of anything fresh... Of course, the other factor is when we assess that all we're going to see is the same musty merchandise, turning in at all becomes the issue... Its impossible to see something with a fresh eye when not watching in the first place... Still, glad you were able to knock a couple of items from your Christmas list.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I see what you are saying OP, now when I'm in the market for something in particular I do shop around to see where I get the best deal whether it be locally or online.....but I'm a shopper with a mission and I make a selection quickly after I compare prices. The only exception where I may have to contemplate or have to think more about it is a more expensive purchase---(i.e. computer, appliance, TV, Christmas Tree, expensive jewelry etc etc). But for the everyday items, seeing the same thing over and over just bores me and makes me change the channel.....

Great you got some of your Christmas gifts out of the way---QVC USED TO BE (emphasis on USED TO ) that channel for me, gifts for co-workers, unusual gifts for friends and family, but sadly no more---the few items they present as gifts I have no desire to purchase, and I definitely don't heed the bizarre items that some of the hosts recommend---callous removers, genie bras, wrinkle cream and epilators ..... I think those on my gift lists would be rather insulted....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have a niece and husband who shop here a lot, and we occasionally discuss (or I'll ask her) whether she or hubby might like a certain item. That helps. About 5-6 years ago I had gotten to the point of absolutely hating hitting the malls to shop. I hate pushing, shoving crowds in any case. The last 3 years I've had increasing mobility issues, so that has really sealed it. I used to use Amazon a lot more, but their prices and shipping are not so attractive any more (I've never ordered enough to make Prime worth it). But I have used a lot of different online shopping if the price is right, the item unique and the shipping free or reasonable. I do order from HSN occasionally too. I don't buy a lot from either channel compared to some, but it's on in the background as 'company/noise' so I'm exposed to it all the boring bits.
Honored Contributor

I shop year around for holiday gifts and so am able to avoid the Christmas rush. I also try to avoid malls year around and especially during the holidays, as much as I can. It's easy to do, as there are so many stores, and certainly other on-line resources. If I had to rely on what QVC is promoting these last few years as holiday gifts, I can only imagine how very disappointed my friends and family would be...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...