Occasional Contributor

Wrong, wrong, wrong... QVC business dealings

I am very upset with QVC.  Four years ago, I had to declare bankruptsy due to my dying mother's medical bills charged to me (over $300,000).  Unfortunately, little did I know that if a QVC Qcard is included on a bankruptcy, NEVER AGAIN can you order anything from there -- easy pay or direct pay.  I ordered a computer on easy pay two weeks ago, and today tried to check its status.  No orders were showing.  Yet the first payment was deducted from my checking account.  With NO WRITTEN OR VERBAL notification, QVC decided to cancel that order due to the bankruptcy four years ago.  Mind you, this was NOT on a QCard.  I was told by customer service that the policy is to cancel all orders regardless of payment arrangements with any past customer who has decalred bankruptcy.  The last I checked, bankruptcy is an American freedom right. Now I must call my bank and figure out when that first payment will be reimbursed to me.  Customer service certainly did not volunteer to do so.  I would have never known about the cancellation until well after Christmas, I suppose.  I don't care if QVC renews my account, I WILL NEVER shop with such a cold, non-empathetic company.  And, I will encourage others to shop elsewhere as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Wrong, wrong, wrong... QVC business dealings

In my dealings with them, they seemed professional. After all, they are in business to make money and if they don't want to deal with what is perceived as high risk customers, that is their choice.
Trusted Contributor

I heard of people who were banned from purchasing becaues of to many returns and cancellations.  It would make sense that if they took  a loss on an account they may not let that party purchase again.  I do agree that they should not have allowed the purchase to go through a full check out, if that is their policy, but instead not let an account be opened so that you were aware before attempting to purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow..... while I can understand a company not wishing to issue any kind of credit to a customer who has defaulted on what they owe and/or refusing to have that person as a customer again no matter the payment type  (regardless of fault or circumstance and understanding that bankruptcy is a right....).... accepting a payment, deducting it from your account and then deciding they weren't going to deal with you AND NOT CONTACTING YOU ABOUT IT is beyond poor business...  I don't think this is right at all, hopefully they are working with you to make sure you get your refund and in a timely way. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Sounds fair to me except for not notifying you.  Hope you receive a timely refund. 

Honored Contributor

I thought it takes seven years for a bankruptcy to roll off ones credit report.  I would anticipate issues with credit until then.  I've always received an email or letter when an item is canceled due to no stock.  I would expect the same from this type of situation.  Perhaps the letter is backlogged with Christmas cards.

Honored Contributor

Another first time poster berating QVC.   Did you buy the computer on easy pay?   If so,  do you suppose there could have been some doubt about receiving subsequent  payments even if the first one cleared?   Once you declare bankruptcy,  it takes time to rebuild your credit... that's the price you pay.   Four years is not sufficient time. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Another first time poster berating QVC.   Did you buy the computer on easy pay?   If so,  do you suppose there could have been some doubt about receiving subsequent  payments even if the first one cleared?   Once you declare bankruptcy,  it takes time to rebuild your credit... that's the price you pay.   Four years is not sufficient time. 

Sounds fishy to me, too..............why was she responsible for her mother's medical bills? 

I worked in financial accounting for many years, and yes, a previous bankrupt is usually CIA...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kathy679412 wrote:

I am very upset with QVC.  Four years ago, I had to declare bankruptsy due to my dying mother's medical bills charged to me (over $300,000).  Unfortunately, little did I know that if a QVC Qcard is included on a bankruptcy, NEVER AGAIN can you order anything from there -- easy pay or direct pay.  I ordered a computer on easy pay two weeks ago, and today tried to check its status.  No orders were showing.  Yet the first payment was deducted from my checking account.  With NO WRITTEN OR VERBAL notification, QVC decided to cancel that order due to the bankruptcy four years ago.  Mind you, this was NOT on a QCard.  I was told by customer service that the policy is to cancel all orders regardless of payment arrangements with any past customer who has decalred bankruptcy.  The last I checked, bankruptcy is an American freedom right. Now I must call my bank and figure out when that first payment will be reimbursed to me.  Customer service certainly did not volunteer to do so.  I would have never known about the cancellation until well after Christmas, I suppose.  I don't care if QVC renews my account, I WILL NEVER shop with such a cold, non-empathetic company.  And, I will encourage others to shop elsewhere as well.

"With NO WRITTEN OR VERBAL notification, QVC decided to cancel that order due to the bankruptcy four years ago."

If you had no notification from QVC, how do you know that they cancelled your order due to your previous bankruptcy?

Since you said that the first payment had been taken from your account, you were essentially applying for credit with them, which they have every right to deny in accordance with their company's policies, whether it be because of the bankruptcy or for other reasons.

As another poster mentioned above, they also have the right to refuse to sell to an indvidual at all, for any reason, which includes too many returns or cancellations.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you purchased with Easy Pay, regardless of what card you used, I can certainly understand that.  Since a person can change their Easy Pay arrangements to another card, they are probably concerned about getting paid in full for the item. However, if a customer filed bankruptcy and is willing to pay the full amount instead of using Easy Pay, I don't understand why they would refuse to allow them to purchase. 

QVC is a business.  You have the right to file for bankruptcy, and they have the right to protect their interests.