Honored Contributor

Re: Why is it so hard to name colors?

[ Edited ]

The hosts get a generous salary for what they do....so at least they can do their homework and learn the colors....Its called being a professional....

And this particular host....if it was an outfit one of her kids had on I'd bet she'd remember the color they were wearing...Im tired of hearing all these personal stories and antidotes but some hosts actually know very little about the products they are trying to sell to the viewer!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Let's chalk it up to everyone's having an off day today.

@qualitygal 

Noooo,I don't think so!

Sorry to disagree but it is  their job to know  the colors of the item they are selling!!!

Honored Contributor

It's remarkable really that no one's thought to put cards next to the items with the item's color's name.  The cards don't have to be visible on screen, just to the presenter.  It must be too obvious of a solution.

I like when a host disagrees with the color's name.  "This is called midnight blue but it's really more of a light gray."

Esteemed Contributor

I have to laugh when I read posts that say get off the couch,read a book,take a walk. Wonder if they're reading or walking whilst making snarky comments?  Multitasking.😁

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I have to laugh when I read posts that say get off the couch,read a book,take a walk. Wonder if they're reading or walking whilst making snarky comments?  Multitasking.😁

Glad you had a laugh! I walk daily and read a lot. I don't watch Q all day and constantly complain about what this host said or did. If a TV host being confused about the color of a product bothers you so much, that's really quite something. Not in a good way.

Contributor

OK, in all fairness to the hosts, I would cut them some slack. There are a biljillion colors out there named for blue, or red, or green, etc.  I am a retail buyer and if I can use a blouse for example, the brand itself assigns a specific color name for each color of that blouse.  You may think its blue, but it may be ocean or sky or baby...you get the point.  Those colors are put into the retailer's system at the time of sku/style creation.  If someone goes online to order this blouse, your color must match as per the brand as this would cause confusion.  Imagine doing this for every item that has an assigned color code specifically to it!  It can be daunting.  So the host may ask what is the color, they just have to clairfy for the customers sake. 

Regular Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I rarely watch anymore for many reasons and don't know most of the hosts.  But I would think it's part of their job to know what they're talking about.  At the very least, isn't the info on cards that they are holding?  Read it. Seems that some hosts are ill prepared for the job they're supposed to do.

I really try to give these hosts a chance. They can't all be Leah or even Katrina who is very professional. No pursing of the lips, fixing her hair, etc. If some of these hosts were working for anyone else I believe they would lose their jobs. I have had to really cut down my time watching QVC or HSN. 7,000 sold in this show or how many with a surprised look on their faces. 

I would rather read a good book than listen to lies which seem to be the norm these days. Maybe I am getting to old for this..

Respected Contributor

i believe these people are paid pretty well.  the very least they could do is to do a little homework before their show.   how many items with wacky color names can there be in one show?  (Leah seems to do just fine and she has lots of wacky color names in AM Style LOL) 

Honored Contributor

I always thought that they went over what was in their show to be prepared with colors or just giving the correct information.  I remember years ago some of the hosts told us what they do before coming on air and one was going over what was in their shows.  Kerstin is never prepared along with a few others.

Valued Contributor

It is very obvious gap with a few of the hosts and I don’t understand it. It is your literal job. I think several of them absolutely phone it in because of tenure.

All the people who make excuses for them, yes, stuff happens but this is their general rule, not the exception.

It’s not acceptable to be consistently unprepared in a real world job and most of us would never do it so why is it ok here?