Respected Contributor

Re: Why do the hosts purchase on the air?

I don't think they're really placing an order. Like others said, it's a sales tactic. Maybe they use it when they truly love the item, but I doubt that they really plan to order it.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I T A w/ insomniac.

Valued Contributor

I do not value a hosts opinion enough to purchase the same item.I have my own taste,if I want something,I will purchase it.I do not care if the host says everyone in the world wants one,if I don't like it I am not buying it!!

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree ~ I've seen many hosts do this and find it rude. They have access to the items beforehand so I would appreciate them doing their shopping then.
Trusted Contributor

They order online because, a) They are allowed to, b) The item either wasn't available for them to order ahead of time or they didn't have time, and c) because of a & b they really want the item and it will sell out if they don't place the order. Show line-ups change by the minute, and hosts don't always have the opportunity to even see all of the items prior to their being on air, nor are they always allowed to order certain items ahead of time. For the seconds it takes, it truly doesn't bother me. Hosts are shoppers too, and if they can take advantage of something they want, I don't care. Sales tactic? I doubt it. When they do have advance opportunity and the time, they buy then. Otherwise we'd be seeing it constantly.
Super Contributor

On 2/6/2015 lizzief said: They order online because, a) They are allowed to, b) The item either wasn't available for them to order ahead of time or they didn't have time, and c) because of a & b they really want the item and it will sell out if they don't place the order. Show line-ups change by the minute, and hosts don't always have the opportunity to even see all of the items prior to their being on air, nor are they always allowed to order certain items ahead of time. For the seconds it takes, it truly doesn't bother me. Hosts are shoppers too, and if they can take advantage of something they want, I don't care. Shopping tactic? I doubt it. When they do have advance opportunity they buy then. Otherwise we'd be seeing it constantly.
I don't know if it's a shopping tactic, but it is definitely a sales tactic. The hosts review items in their shows at meetings held well before the show airs and have plenty of time to purchase. They know exactly what they are doing.
Respected Contributor

They started that a few years ago. I remember when LR would say that she was ordering something if any were left after the show and then the item would sell out. I think they just expanded on that by having the hosts order on air to increase sales. I don't even believe it's really happening. Just another sales ploy.
Respected Contributor

They do it be because the Q tells them to. I do not believe for one minute that they are actually ordering AND if they are and the item sells out they should be ashamed of themselves for purchasing BEFORE the viewing public.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

I can remember quite a few years back where they Were Not allowed to order on air as so many would say they had to wait, but then they started saying they would have their spouse or friend order and then it became them ordering on air. I don't know what to believe about this, but I do agree with others that this ploy, if that is what it is has never worked on me. I know what I like and they can say all hour long how great it is, but if this girl don't like it she don't like it, lol.

Off topic, but does anyone remember when they use to have an item on air and only 1 could be ordered per buyer. Haven't seen that in a long time. I will never forget Lisa Robertson was presenting such an item and she said "well it is only one per buyer, but you could always put another order in your pet's name". I guess some took her seriously and tried and she had to apologize for her suggestion, lol. That was so funny.

Have a Good Evening All

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

I agree on the rudeness of this (definitely) sales tactic. I called Jill on it on her FB page after last weekend, and boy, did she get defensive! she shot me back a rude answer within minutes of my posting.

sorry, kiddos, but I find it obnoxious of Antonella and Jill and whoever else does it. It looks so disingenuous -- do they think we viewers are that naive?