Respected Contributor

Why can’t they sing Happy Birthday to DB?

I am watching PM Style and Amy and Kourtney gave Dennis Basso a birthday cake and Kourtney said, “let’s sing Happy Birthday” and Amy quickly said “we aren’t allowed.” 

Now, I understand why they can’t sing like brand songs and say certain things, but why can’t they sing Happy Birthday? Does someone own the lyrics? I just don’t know. I know someone can give me the answer. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Why can’t they sing Happy Birthday to DB?

The song is copyrighted, so there would be a royalty to pay.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Frequent Contributor

I didn't hear them say they couldn't sing HB to DB, but I have heard many times that the Happy Birthday song is copyrighted and can't be sung without permission (probablyby whomever owns the rights to it).

Super Contributor

I think you are correct that someone owns the lyrics to the song Happy Birthday.   So if the song is sung, QVC will have to pay royalties for the song.

Honored Contributor

I once heard Dan Wheeler, who used to sing snatches of slongs a lot on the air years ago, say he couldn't do that any more because of copyright laws.  QVC must have told him to cut it out.

Trusted Contributor

It was under copyright but I think that changed a few years ago. It should be considered public domain now but maybe they don't know that.

Valued Contributor

"Happy Birthday" has been public domain since 2015...ANYone can use it FREE

Esteemed Contributor

According to a court filing on Monday, music publisher Warner/Chappell will pay $14 million to end a lawsuit challenging its hold on the English language's most popular song, "Happy Birthday to You." ... Warners was expecting to have "Happy Birthday" under copyright until 2030.Feb 9, 2016
Honored Contributor

Federal judge claimed in 2015 none of the companies had a valid copyright claim.  

"None of the companies that have collected royalties on the "Happy Birthday" song for the past 80 years held a valid copyright claim to one of the most popular songs in history, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled on Tuesday.

In a stunning reversal of decades of copyright claims, the judge ruled that Warner/Chappell never had the right to charge for the use of the "Happy Birthday To You" song.

Tuesday's ruling means that the song is now considered a public work and is free for everyone to use without fear of having to pay for it, according to a statement from the plaintiffs' attorneys."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-happy-birthday-song-lawsuit-decision-20150922-story.htm...

QVC doesn't know this?

Honored Contributor

Yes, a class-action lawsuit was brought against Warner Music and settled in 2016.  They agreed to pay a settlement of $14 million for fees they charged for the use of the song.

Greed knows no bounds with big corporations.  There are still a lot of people who don't know that the song is now in the public domain and, of course, Warner Music will do nothing to enlighten them!