Honored Contributor

Re: Why can’t they sing Happy Birthday to DB?

@Foxxee wrote:

Federal judge claimed in 2015 none of the companies had a valid copyright claim.  

"None of the companies that have collected royalties on the "Happy Birthday" song for the past 80 years held a valid copyright claim to one of the most popular songs in history, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled on Tuesday.

In a stunning reversal of decades of copyright claims, the judge ruled that Warner/Chappell never had the right to charge for the use of the "Happy Birthday To You" song.

Tuesday's ruling means that the song is now considered a public work and is free for everyone to use without fear of having to pay for it, according to a statement from the plaintiffs' attorneys."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-happy-birthday-song-lawsuit-decision-20150922-story.htm...

QVC doesn't know this?

I cannot see QVC having a host meeting about the Happy Birthday song issue.  I think Amy (and probably most hosts) just are not up to date on the changed status of singing the song in public.   

Consider "Super Bowl."  Companies like QVC cannot say that term unless they have gone into a huge licensing deal with the NFL to say Super Bowl in public.  They always say, "The Big Game."  Since QVC sells NFL items, I'm sure if licensing ever changes QVC will definitely have a host meeting about being able to say Super Bowl.

Trusted Contributor

I think giving him a cake is more than enough.  The viewers aren’t interested in hearing the hosts sing the birthday song.  It’s a shopping channel, not a birthday party.

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly I couldn’t care less that no one sang happy birthday to Dennis or anyone else for that matter
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Dennis Basso,

https://birthdaywishesname.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/birthday-candles-happy-bday-wishes-animated-gif.gif

Regular Contributor

interesting trivia we learn on the Q Boards!

👍