Super Contributor

Re: Why can't I report someone?

On 6/1/2014 suzyQ3 said:

In general, I don't really get the concern about reporting people or about getting one's thread deleted or other forum stuff. This is a message board. Post your replies. Don't fret over every single perceived offense. If someone truly bothers you, put the person on "ignore."

I report occasionally, but I limit it to what I think are egregious breaches of the community standards -- racist or other type slurs or remarks.

Unfortunately, I think too many posters use the "report abuse" button as part of their personal battles or grudgefests here. No doubt that a perfectly legitimate post is often deleted by a tired webbie.

BTW, here's something to keep in mind. It's one of the Community Standards:

REPORTING ABUSE: A Community participant's excessive use of the ''Report Abuse'' function to report other Community participants without cause may result in the participant being banned from further participation in the QVC Community.

SuzyQ, thanks for posting that! There are a lot of pot stirrers who use that button, get banned, and come back with another nic (and they shouldn't).

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 suzyQ3 said:

In general, I don't really get the concern about reporting people or about getting one's thread deleted or other forum stuff. This is a message board. Post your replies. Don't fret over every single perceived offense. If someone truly bothers you, put the person on "ignore."

I report occasionally, but I limit it to what I think are egregious breaches of the community standards -- racist or other type slurs or remarks.

Unfortunately, I think too many posters use the "report abuse" button as part of their personal battles or grudgefests here. No doubt that a perfectly legitimate post is often deleted by a tired webbie.

BTW, here's something to keep in mind. It's one of the Community Standards:

REPORTING ABUSE: A Community participant's excessive use of the ''Report Abuse'' function to report other Community participants without cause may result in the participant being banned from further participation in the QVC Community.

I couldn't have articulated it better.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure people report a lot of reduculous stuff. I've probably reported 3 or 4 posts since I've been on. Mostly if I think someone is nasty I put them on ignore.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

On 6/2/2014 debc said:

I'm sure people report a lot of reduculous stuff. I've probably reported 3 or 4 posts since I've been on. Mostly if I think someone is nasty I put them on ignore.

Exactly, ignore them. If you don't like someone's opinion - and that is exactly what it is, an opinion, ignore them - reporting them is not appropriate.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

On 6/2/2014 katiescarlett said:
On 6/2/2014 debc said:

Exactly, ignore them. If you don't like someone's opinion - and that is exactly what it is, an opinion, ignore them - reporting them is not appropriate.

Amen katie!

The only time reporting a poster is appropriate is if they have physically threatened you or are stalking you outside of these forums. Otherwise, if you don't like their opinions, 'ignore' them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even those with whom we disagree or those we don't like.

Super Contributor

I report spam (when someone with a brand new nic posts a URL to a company selling something). I mostly ignore the kiddies and their name calling. The report button works fine for me.

Honored Contributor

We're grown ups ... and we're supposed to be able to either get along or just ignore each other.

Respected Contributor

I use the report feature is someone is obnoxiously rude and condescending. And of course if they are downright mean. There is no reason for anyone to be ugly to others just because they may not agree with a statement or a thread. Some posters need to take a deep breath and think before they post. Chastising someone for an opinion is just not right.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 golfcartrider said:

I use the report feature is someone is obnoxiously rude and condescending. And of course if they are downright mean. There is no reason for anyone to be ugly to others just because they may not agree with a statement or a thread. Some posters need to take a deep breath and think before they post. Chastising someone for an opinion is just not right.

The words I bolded in your post are subjective adjectives. What might be rude or condescending (or ""chastising"") to one person might be informative for another. It is quite simply an inappropriate use of the ""report abuse"" feature.

We all have to put up with comments on a message board which we may not like or with which we may not agree. I can't even begin to fathom reporting such posts. QVC's answer for you is the ""ignore"" button. It's there for you to use when you don't wish to see a person's posts.

You risk being banned if you use of the ""report abuse"" button every time your feelings are hurt by something or you feel insulted in some way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 6/5/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 6/5/2014 golfcartrider said:

The words I bolded in your post are subjective adjectives. What might be rude or condescending (or ""chastising"") to one person might be informative for another. It is quite simply an inappropriate use of the ""report abuse"" feature.

We all have to put up with comments on a message board which we may not like or with which we may not agree. I can't even begin to fathom reporting such posts. QVC's answer for you is the ""ignore"" button. It's there for you to use when you don't wish to see a person's posts.

You risk being banned if you use of the ""report abuse"" button every time your feelings are hurt by something or you feel insulted in some way.

Touche!

Don't worry, be Happy!