Occasional Contributor

Why are the the petite models usually in flats?

Wonder why they always seem to put a petite model on the set alongside the 5'8" - 5'10" models and have the 5'2" petite models wear flat shoes while all of the the tall ones are wearing 3-4" heels?  It makes the short models look even that much shorter while the tall models get to look even taller.  Why not give the shorter models that extra 3-4" boost in height as well?   Don't know why it's done so frequently nor why I find it so irksome.  I know it's trifling, but I just feel it's sort of belittling (no pun intended) to their short models who probably don't give it a thought and if they did, could care less.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why are the the petite models usually in flats?

I think it's because the petite models are in the petite inseams, which in my opinion tend to run really short.  If they had heels on, the pants would not hit in the right spot. I'm only 5'2" but I always buy average inseams because petites are too short on me, even in flats. 

They probably also want to emphasize that these are petite models for the camera/viewers at home.

Occasional Contributor

In many instances the petite models are wearing regular inseams and regular length dresses and tops.. If QVC wants to emphasize their shorter height for the benefit of petite viewers, they're doing an excellent job because when the short models are in flats alongside Kate, Katia, et al in heels, the petites can look almost midgetish.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wearing flats emphasizes their petitness.  @MezzieStarr  i wear petite length and most are too long for me at 28+ inches.  I find 27" to be perfect.  I'm 5' 4" so I'm not tiny.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Since I am 5' I always try to notice what type of shoe the model is wearing.  I've noticed that when modeling pants, they wear heels which doesn't help me at all.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you.  I'm also 5/1" and I really dislike the look of pants - especially pedal pushers and crops - with high heels.  I would never wear that combination, so seeing the models in this look doesn't help me at all.  Just plain ugly IIMHO.

@countrylady wrote:

Since I am 5' I always try to notice what type of shoe the model is wearing.  I've noticed that when modeling pants, they wear heels which doesn't help me at all.

Honored Contributor

I'm  5' and a 28" is  a little long on me.  27" is really good.  I dislike when they have petite pants at 29".  They do not do a good job of showing the petite models.

Honored Contributor

To show how short they are. I need a 27" inseam so no problem with any shoes.

Honored Contributor

I think that putting the petite models in flats is actually a good idea. It's a more accurate representation of how the clothes will fit a petite woman than putting the model (or host) in 4" stilettos, e.g. Amy Stran.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@foonfah 

Petite customers want to see the models wear flats!  Many of us requested this--- it's how we style!

After wearing heels you start to have problems with your feet so you start wearing more flats and comfortable shoes, PLUS styles are more casual  and look better with flats than high heels.  Even offices have gone more casual including shoes....No one really dresses up at work unless there's an important meeting or event ....So customers want to see models in flats to judge how the clothes in a petite in-seam will look with flats or sandals.....

Also that's the whole purpose of petite models...if they are wearing stilettos or heels it puts them in the regular length category and you can judge things on the regular size models and regular size lengthed clothes!!!! The vendors are ALWAYS saying if you are petite and want to wear heels buy the regular length.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”