Regular Contributor

Why are return label fees more than the original shipping charges?s

Why do we get a  easy return label that cost $6.95 to return ( plus we lose shipping fees that were paid to send the item)  when the item shipping was $3.49 to mail us?

I do not understand if I am mailed a small item that I paid $ 3.49 to send to me gets much more charged to me to return the item.

I am going to have to stop ordering as many things I would like to check out because it is costing a fortune to return them if unhappy.

The exchange feature is also awful, you send it back for a different size or color and wait over three weeks to get an item. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why are return label fees more than the original shipping charges?s

@goldreich27, totally agree with you! Maybe they charge so much for return shipping hoping that customers will just keep the item, rather than lose the $6.95! And yes, the exchange feature is awful because by the time QVC gets the item, it's already sold out in the exchange choice! That's happened to me several times!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

QVC needs to take a lesson from Amazon. This is the era of overnight shipping. Instant gratification. 6-7-8 or more days to receive an item is intolerable. I believe if they don't get a grip on shipping problems it's going to get them . I think they're already showing signs of problems.
Super Contributor

@goldreich27 

Hi there,

I have been wondering about the very same thing for some time ...

Sometimes if I need to return an item I pay " up front" .

For some that may require a trip to the P O ,and yes, I know not everyone can go or wants to. For me it's worth it ,especially if it's a light weight item . I keep my tracking # so know when it was delivered.  more often than not I still have to call when I don't see any activity on my return in a week or so ...

I also agree with you about the slow exchanges , almost not worth it ...

I was going to order todays TSV but decided against it since I'm not sure what size to order , and, I'm tired of paying $10 or more just  to try an item on..

Just my 2 cents worth ...   >^..^<

Honored Contributor

The reason for the return shipping cost doesn't matter.  It is what it is, and isn't going to decrease.  Everyone has the option of paying for returns at the post office.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Because they would be in the position again that put them in the shape they're in now.  They would be losing money paying for you to order on top of order on top of order just cuz they would refund you S&H and pay for returns.  I don't know many online retailers that refund you your original S&H and pay for you to return.  Those days are over.  Maybe people should shop more wisely.

Trusted Contributor

They should charge the same rate to return an item that they charge to ship it originally! They are making a few bucks from each item that is returned using their label. Original shipping charge $3.50, return shipping charge $6.95...
Honored Contributor

I think QVC charges $6.95 for returns because they cost more to process than new items that are already packaged by the manufacturer.

They must pay for the item to be shipped back.  The returns department opens the boxes, inspects the contents, repackages them if in like new condition to be sold again.  If worn or defective, they handle those in a different way.

QVC is paying for return shipping, repacking materials, and labor.

We can be sure if QVC offered free shipping and returns, there'd be increases in the prices of their products.  Then, there would be complaining about that.  

As I see it, why should all of us pay increased prices for some to return their items free?  Who is paying for free exchanges?  All of us, even those who don't exchange anything.  

For those retailers offering free shipping and/or returns on sale prices, you can bet prices were increased somewhere in their product lines to cover it.  

No retailer is going to absorb all those costs without increasing prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is why I have an LL Bean mastercard, free shipping, both ways!!!  Yay!!!

I buy more clothing from them and household items such as sheets and towels.

Esteemed Contributor

Returning via USPS is much more cost effective and faster. Using QVC return labels takes forever to ship an item back to their warehouse and you do not have a tracking number.

I'll never understand why QVC says the customer does have a tracking number! I've tried it and never have had one! That's a s-l-o-w rip-off of using the customer's money IMO. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.